• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which did you prefer? In my mind, Mahogany sounds better to go towards a brownish red rather than violet.

Also, any reason to not just use Neutral Pate De Luxe on all the shoes?
I like both, depending on the shoe style, sometimes I use a little of both on the same shoe. Neutral works fine, but has no color, so there won't be any color depth added.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's crazy, he used Black on Burgundy and it doesn't look any different...
The wax polishes don’t add much in the way of pigment - that’s why a cream is key - but neutral can strip color. Neutral cream likely won’t have the same negative impact but also won’t get the benefits Patrick mentioned.

apd90700

Reaction score
How about best cream for Burgundy.

Oh, and Pate De Luxe vs Mirror Gloss.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone with Vegano Burgundy want to weigh in on whether they recommend Saphir Burgundy or Mahogany Pate De Luxe for regular care?

View attachment 1592486

All depends. I use black, burgundy, navy and dark brown cream and waxes on mine, do get nice life to it with time. Don't agree that wax doesn't add colour, it's what you burnish toes with if you are after that, not the cream.

E9562202-48E7-4C22-B230-BF36316A8FB0.png

apd90700

Reaction score
All depends. I use black, burgundy, navy and dark brown cream and waxes on mine, do get nice life to it with time. Don't agree that wax doesn't add colour, it's what you burnish toes with if you are after that, not the cream.

View attachment 1592505
Beauties there! So, you've used all the different cream colors on those and nothing major negative to report, just different patinas develop depending on the use of cream?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Jesper and others have said - it’s about what you want to accentuate. Your safe bets - Creams From saphir: Hermès red, mahogany, burgundy. From boot black: burgundy, dark burgundy, prune. Blacks and navy work. Re: waxes and mirror gloss or pate de luxe - I always view mirror gloss or high shine wax as somethings in addition to your other waxes not an or. None of this is as major of a decision or permanent as using a leather dye or something so just have fun with it. Worst case you can pull it back off.

apd90700

Reaction score
On that note, if you're needing a reload on creams, waxes, laces, etc. With the Cobbler Union honorary10 promo this and next month, you can get 10% off Saphir products. Probably going to buy my creams/polishes there, and also benefit from the lifetime discount.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beauties there! So, you've used all the different cream colors on those and nothing major negative to report, just different patinas develop depending on the use of cream?

Yup, but should be "depending on the use of cream and wax".

Potatoe

Reaction score
Not in my size but is nice. Another reason I am hesitant to buy from Vass is I've read their customer service is sub-par, so getting a response from them can be difficult.
Their service has been excellent for me, but there are some stories which I would suspect date back to the lockdown last year.

Last edited:

cop1211

Reaction score
The hardest part is contacting them. I sent a message 3 weeks ago via the website and Instagram but never heard back.
So I went back to Skote and Bonafe.

Potatoe

Reaction score
The hardest part is contacting them. I sent a message 3 weeks ago via the website and Instagram but never heard back.
So I went back to Skote and Bonafe.
Very odd, every email I have ever sent has been replied to very quickly. That said you aren't the first to say this.

cop1211

Reaction score
Very odd, every email I have ever sent has been replied to very quickly. That said you aren't the first to say this.
Sorry wrong thread (Vass)
TLB has been outstanding with communication. Very fast to respond.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Is neutral pate de lux and mirror gloss really an issue long term? I always through the pigments in the colored saphir waxes were very light and really didnt add much color to the shoes. Would have never though neutral waxes could actually harm the shoes.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is neutral pate de lux and mirror gloss really an issue long term? I always through the pigments in the colored saphir waxes were very light and really didnt add much color to the shoes. Would have never though neutral waxes could actually harm the shoes.
Like everything else on this forum - it depends. I wouldn’t use it on crust - particularly one I wanted to keep the burnish or patina on - which is typically where I see guys trying to use it because they don’t want to think about how to match the darker parts of the toe to the rest of the toe. On another kind of shoe like the vegano burgundy above it probably wouldn’t “harm” anything but it could pull color out and make it look worse than otherwise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads