1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

TLB Mallorca - Made in Spain Footwear

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Burzan, Jun 18, 2018.

1. misiuacademy

misiuacademy Well-Known Member

Hey, it is the Burgundy version. Just like the ones posted above!

Looks great, I have the same feelings as you after trying them on!

2. OlafG

OlafG Senior Member

Does anyone dare to compare TLB with Alden in terms of quality?

3. bantone

bantone Senior Member

I personally feel that TLB is in line with quality of Allen Edmond's. Certainly not Alden.

4. misiuacademy

This is my first pair but everything is spot on. The only "negative" i could find was that the box is very low on extra items (only shoe bags). I have been seeing/hearing the worst about AE and recently checked some of their shoes in Sweden and I would feel bad paying full price.

5. OlafG

OlafG Senior Member

Given the frequency of deep discount sales on AE's, I think their fair price is a bit lower than what it is being sold for at retail. Allen Edmonds and American brands are very hard to keep competitive in Europe after taxes and VAT is added.

That being said, I don't think I've got more than shoe bags from any RTW maker? Neither Alden, Allen Edmonds, Loake nor Church's.

6. WhyUEarly

WhyUEarly Senior Member

Carlos Santos and Enzo Bonafe both provide a high quality plastic shoehorn.

7. misiuacademy

Agreed on what you said above, however it was of course from my European perspective. As for the amenities, Carlos Santos and EB gives shoe horns, Pediwear gives free shoe trees and wax polish etc.

But I assure you the craftsmanship and quality on the artista line is superb! The waist is beveled and has a fiddleback with a full welt stitching, not cemented, the fudging on the welt reminds me of Bonafe, the shape and elegance Yohei Fukuda (it draws inspiration from him). For less than 500$ they are excellent!

Of course, just my opinion.

8. Kamil1987

Kamil1987 Senior Member

TLB Rtw vs Allen Edmonds ? Since I own both brands I would summarize very quickly:
    TLB: softer leathers, more refined lasts, closed sole stitching, beveled waist
    Allen Edmonds: more generous lasts, heritage.

For me TLB wins in most aspects and is most comparable to Carmina.

9. gmehra

gmehra Senior Member

what makes you say Alden is greatly superior? just curious

10. bantone

bantone Senior Member

For me the sole on my Alden LHS and Shell Cordovans the sole is thicker and much more substantial than the TLB. I can feel the gravel more with the TLBs. Keep in mind that I have plantar fasciitis so my requirements are a bit different than yours.

Other than that I really like them. I'm not knocking my TLBs and would certainly purchase them again.

11. gmehra

gmehra Senior Member

cool thanks, different last style as well. TLB like most european makers is certainly more sleek than Alden which uses more round / bulbous lasts

12. bantone

bantone Senior Member

For sure. The more sleek shoe is what attracted me to the TLB over an American shoemaker or even English which uses a rounder larger last as well.

I've even looked at their loafers more recently due to the sleekness.

13. gmehra

gmehra Senior Member

british brands like crockett & jones which is at a similar price point to alden if you buy directly from the factory also offer some sleek lasts

14. bantone

bantone Senior Member

I've been looking at Edward Green and Crockett & Jones Loafers as my next purchase. Don't tempt me :D

15. gmehra

gmehra Senior Member

ha ha I didn't bring up Edward Green because its a totally different price point. But C&J offers something at a similar price point to Alden with nicer lasts/finishing IMO. just depends on your personal preference I guess :)