• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

arturobelano

Reaction score
Wood vs metal

Wood is more flexible but can break and loose its purpose. Metal is more resistant but less flexible. It can rust if not properly protected. As long as they are not plastic I don't care.

Big diff with your 840 euros shoes is the construction:

"Our goodyear is made through cutting a lip in the insole. The welt seam is then sewn, as opposed to glued when "gemming" is used. "

This is way more labor intensive and traditional. They do a little more handmade operations also. Made in France.

I never owned a pair of shoes with the waist only glued. I wouldn't mind for oxford or formal shoes. But I don't want this construction for boots or week end derbies.
I doubled check the thread. TLB shanks are metal.

Thanks man! I appreciate it.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My photography isn’t near as good as many of you - But fresh out of the package. I think I’m going to burnish them and add a patina.
2E23C95F-E52F-4EFC-9336-810BCE17F174.jpeg
D3496FD2-C915-41E0-958D-31758E8AF54B.jpeg

lowland4me

Reaction score
WOW!!!!! They look great Jmr928!! So what are your initial thoughts, fit, expectations met, etc.? I’ve been stumbling around, but to date......they still are a strong consideration and awaiting purchase. Did you by them direct from TLB? Inquiring minds would like to know! Thanks

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW!!!!! They look great Jmr928!! So what are your initial thoughts, fit, expectations met, etc.? I’ve been stumbling around, but to date......they still are a strong consideration and awaiting purchase. Did you by them direct from TLB? Inquiring minds would like to know! Thanks
Their my second pair of Artista’s and they seem to be as advertised but I can’t speak to longevity as both my purchases came during lockdown so I haven’t put much use into them yet - I’ve not yet purchased direct from TLB but got my first pair from Skolyx and this pair from a former affiliate of this forum. The initial fit is good and I’ve taken the first pair on some short walks with a very easy break in so far. Stitching is clean, brogue is evenly spaced. No issues with them. Compared to my Carmina, CJ handgrade and Foster & Son they’re right up there with all of them so far.

lowland4me

Reaction score
Jmr928, that speaks volumes comparing them to the likes of those brands. Fighting above their weight and then some (only price wise, not quality wise folks, take a breath)! Thanks for sharing man, I’ve yet to hear a negative review or experience concerning TLB. Good to know. Quick side note; how fast did you receive your order through Skolyx, if I may ask. Again.....inquiring minds would like to know! For the record, I only ask as I’m thinking of ordering some supplies from Skolyx, and wondering what the turn around time might be? Again, take a breath folks! Thanks all! ?

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jmr928, that speaks volumes comparing them to the likes of those brands. Fighting above their weight and then some (only price wise, not quality wise folks, take a breath)! Thanks for sharing man, I’ve yet to hear a negative review or experience concerning TLB. Good to know. Quick side note; how fast did you receive your order through Skolyx, if I may ask. Again.....inquiring minds would like to know! For the record, I only ask as I’m thinking of ordering some supplies from Skolyx, and wondering what the turn around time might be? Again, take a breath folks! Thanks all! ?
Super quick. Ordered from the US on a Monday AM, got a notification they were sent the next day (although I think I ordered while they were closed due to time change so it was basically same day) and received that Friday.

lowland4me

Reaction score
Dang.......that’s awesome! I’m in the US, East Coast, South Carolina. I have the same problem; I can do most of my looking for shoes and Supplies late into the evening Eastern time. Then the next morning I get busy, when I could actually speak to someone, only to get busy again, and repeat the pattern the next evening. My wife says that I don’t speak about anything other than shoes lately! Oh I suppose she’s right.....(but please don’t tell her)! At least it’s not drugs or alcohol! LOL

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang.......that’s awesome! I’m in the US, East Coast, South Carolina. I have the same problem; I can do most of my looking for shoes and Supplies late into the evening Eastern time. Then the next morning I get busy, when I could actually speak to someone, only to get busy again, and repeat the pattern the next evening. My wife says that I don’t speak about anything other than shoes lately! Oh I suppose she’s right.....(but please don’t tell her)! At least it’s not drugs or alcohol! LOL
Speaking from experience shoes and their purchase can become an addiction.

lowland4me

Reaction score
I have no doubt my friend. I’ve always had an addictive type personality anyway, (My bourbon spending budget can attest to that)......anyway, I think I’m diggin’ the shoes just a little bit toooooo much. Ready to take the the leap I believe. The biggest draw back is that purchase without trying them on, doesn’t look like returns are all that easy either. Also the preorder and waiting thing, with some brands, is not something that I’m familiar with either. I have several Bespoke made Kilts, that always take a while, but little investment up front, and I know they’ll fit, as they’re bespoke and already measured to me. Anyway, I appreciate all of the help folks, keep it coming.

Dizzy8108

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered custom lately? How long did it take? I ordered a week ago and am trying to estimate how much longer to expect. It’s sooo hard waiting

lowland4me

Reaction score
Picked up two pair from Skolyx. Both on the Oliver last.
Love the sleek rubber sole on the suedes.
Would definitely compare these favourably to my Carminas.

A couple of poor mobile pics taken during a storm (hence the laces):
View attachment 994105 View attachment 994106
Old part of this thread, so please forgive me. This has probably already been asked and answered as well, again, please forgive my ignorance. How has the suede worn, if you

How has the suede been with wear? Thanks

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt my friend. I’ve always had an addictive type personality anyway, (My bourbon spending budget can attest to that)......anyway, I think I’m diggin’ the shoes just a little bit toooooo much. Ready to take the the leap I believe. The biggest draw back is that purchase without trying them on, doesn’t look like returns are all that easy either. Also the preorder and waiting thing, with some brands, is not something that I’m familiar with either. I have several Bespoke made Kilts, that always take a while, but little investment up front, and I know they’ll fit, as they’re bespoke and already measured to me. Anyway, I appreciate all of the help folks, keep it coming.

For what it’s worth and only one reference point but sizing seems pretty true to size for me taking the same size I do in CJ and carmina although on my foot the instep seems a little more generous on artista? I get a slight V gap in a 9.5 in the Simpson and Rain (I’m 10.5D in most US shoes) but my TLB close. I’m sure @j ingevaldsson and his team could give you sizing advice. Pull the trigger - you won’t regret it. Honestly the reason I first did is because I ordered some MTO from other brands and needed to scratch the itch with some instant gratification.

lowland4me

Reaction score

Old part of this thread, so please forgive me. This has probably already been asked and answered as well, again, please forgive my ignorance. How has the suede worn? Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads