• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

apd90700

Reaction score
Anyone have major qualms against the Picasso 110 in Dark Brown Hatch with Double City Rubber sole? Thoughts on appropriateness with slim tapered casual and formal attire? JMR's comment below may have been before the consideration of wardrobe pairing.

The split toe. Grained wingtip oxford on a sleek last seems too busy and contradictory to me.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have major qualms against the Picasso 110 in Dark Brown Hatch with Double City Rubber sole? Thoughts on appropriateness with slim tapered casual and formal attire? JMR's comment below may have been before the consideration of wardrobe pairing.
It’s all personal preference. To me hatch grained oxfords are contradictory in my head. I can’t think of a single oxford I’ve seen that is grained that wouldn’t look better in a smooth leather. There’s a maker who has one that I love in pictures. I can’t bring myself to buy it or figure out how I would wear it
E23E8265-DE0A-4FDD-8D8B-F507CDFCD9B0.jpeg

Again, personal preference reigns. The advantage is the TLB hatch looks fairly subdued. But it’s still a full brogue so lots of broguging, stitching and texture. I haven’t seen it in person to know how it works in person.

At the end of the day if there’s a shoe you like the answer is always to buy it and not listen to the people on the internet. We buy these things for ourselves in the end.

unprocessed

Reaction score
It’s all personal preference. To me hatch grained oxfords are contradictory in my head. I can’t think of a single oxford I’ve seen that is grained that wouldn’t look better in a smooth leather. There’s a maker who has one that I love in pictures. I can’t bring myself to buy it or figure out how I would wear it View attachment 1602440

Again, personal preference reigns. The advantage is the TLB hatch looks fairly subdued. But it’s still a full brogue so lots of broguging, stitching and texture. I haven’t seen it in person to know how it works in person.

At the end of the day if there’s a shoe you like the answer is always to buy it and not listen to the people on the internet. We buy these things for ourselves in the end.

That’s literally my pair of Meccariellos with matching belt ?. They are actually burnished with colors ranging from chestnut to a very dark brown, so the TLB would definitely look more subdued.

cop1211

Reaction score
That’s literally my pair of Meccariellos with matching belt ?. They are actually burnished with colors ranging from chestnut to a very dark brown, so the TLB would definitely look more subdued.
Super nice.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're gorgeous - Like I said I love them and always want to buy them. I just have no idea how I'd wear them when they are sitting in my cart.

unprocessed

Reaction score
They're gorgeous - Like I said I love them and always want to buy them. I just have no idea how I'd wear them when they are sitting in my cart.

Here’s what they actually look like since the AM photos seem to have dramatized lighting. I wear them as I would with any normal medium brown dress shoes, including with suits. They’re not as flashy as they would seem.

Attachments

• B9E3D58E-32B2-4291-B2BE-5CA8F0B05C25.jpeg
    B9E3D58E-32B2-4291-B2BE-5CA8F0B05C25.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 5F47DEF6-7764-4F2B-9A68-A249EA1F90C2.jpeg
    5F47DEF6-7764-4F2B-9A68-A249EA1F90C2.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 141

apd90700

Reaction score
Here’s what they actually look like since the AM photos seem to have dramatized lighting. I wear them as I would with any normal medium brown dress shoes, including with suits. They’re not as flashy as they would seem.
Dem welt fudges! Dat grain structure! 10/10.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Double jackpot today as I received the 107 Artista Adelaide in Museum calf dark brown and 135 Artista in Dark brown Hatch grain. The pictures were taken in sunlight, so the real colour is darker (the website pictures are accurate).

Bilde_03.05.2021,_17_56_17.jpg
Bilde 03.05.2021, 17 52 11.jpg
Bilde 03.05.2021, 17 48 01.jpg
Bilde_03.05.2021,_17_47_45.jpg

Bilde_03.05.2021,_17_53_08.jpg

I chose Senior soles for the 135 and am quite happy with the choice. The waist is very narrow, and even slightly arched/beveled. Most impressive.
IMG_8480.jpg

Bilde 03.05.2021, 18 02 11.jpg
Bilde 03.05.2021, 18 02 23.jpg
Bilde 03.05.2021, 19 28 26.jpg

Last edited:

apd90700

Reaction score
Double jackpot today as I received the 107 Artista Adelaide in Museum calf dark brown and 135 Artista in Dark brown Hatch grain. The pictures were taken in sunlight, so the real colour is darker (the website pictures are accurate).

View attachment 1603977 View attachment 1603970 View attachment 1603969 View attachment 1603975
View attachment 1603976

I chose Senior soles for the 135 and am very happy with the choice. The waist is very narrow, and even slightly arched/bevelled. Very impressive.
View attachment 1603978
View attachment 1603971 View attachment 1603972 View attachment 1603973
Initial impressions, which do you prefer, the City or Senior soles?

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1603977 View attachment 1603970 View attachment 1603969 View attachment 1603975
View attachment 1603976

I chose Senior soles for the 135 and am very happy with the choice. The waist is very narrow, and even slightly arched/bevelled. Very impressive.
View attachment 1603978
View attachment 1603971 View attachment 1603972 View attachment 1603973
Vert nice! What lasts are those?

apd90700

Reaction score
Side note, you can request in the notes to have an additional belt hole added to the TLB Belts. Useful for those of us between sizes.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Initial impressions, which do you prefer, the City or Senior soles?

For me it is a pretty direct trade-off between looks and function. The Senior seems more durable, but less flexible. The city sole definitely looks better, simply because it is not as thick. And the beveled waist on it is pretty nice. But I see the heel on the City sole seems to get "squished" fairly quickly, so I suspect it won't last nearly as long as the "Dainite-alike" soles.

Vert nice! What lasts are those?
Thank you! The 135 Derby is on the Velazquez last, and the 107 Adelaide on Picasso.

gmathio

Reaction score
Both pairs are very nice. Wear them in good health ! I'm also interested in your opinion on the City and Senior sole, because I plan to get a brown suede double monk pair and I'm still undecided which sole to chose.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Both pairs are very nice. Wear them in good health ! I'm also interested in your opinion on the City and Senior sole, because I plan to get a brown suede double monk pair and I'm still undecided which sole to chose.
First wear today. First photo shows the color more accurately. The hatch grain is less pronounced than expected. The Senior sole is somewhat stiffer than the City sole, but that's the price you pay for increased durability. It's still much softer than your standard Dainite. I think Senior soles fit casual shoes like these very well, but for Oxfords I would definitely go City sole.
tempImagemMggeX.png

My only gripe about the Senior is how small pebbles get stuck in the grooves, but this is a super minor thing.
Bilde 04.05.2021, 14 49 45.jpg

Construction wise, I believe Toni mentioned something about removing the shank on the Senior sole. I suppose the stiff leather waist acts as a shank (it doesn't actually bend when you walk). I can't say I noticed a difference from my other Artista with City soles on this point, which is a good thing.

Last edited:

Emil S

Reaction score
For what its worth (im biased) I have experience from several years of wear of the different soles (also prior to Artista was launched) and i can only find pros with the city rubber sole:
- Looks better
- Sleeker profile
- Better feeling when worn
- No significant difference in durability based on my experience

If i would have preffered (i dont) the heel from the senior sole for example i would just replace the heel from the city sole with the senior style when its time for that after some years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads