• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TLB Mallorca - Made in Spain Footwear

apd90700

Reaction score
If you’ve already got basics covered and know what you like then sure. It doesn’t seem like a first brown oxford to me though if that’s what gap it’s filling.

Speaking from experience - There’s something to be said for building a collection slowly and figuring out what you really want. Grabbing a shoe from a brand, getting a feel for whether you like their stuff, how the last fits you, how you’re going to wear it.

You mentioned mainly trousers or chinos and occasionally a jacket - that sounds like derby to me. The split toe you identified is great and versatile with that but would be tough to dress up with a suit or if you opt to stick with a narrow leg opening - it could potentially be tough if you go for the sleek look in most of your things.

another option if that’s the case that you want to go for a sleek look would be tracking down the 114 on Picasso in dark brown or going MTO (Not my pictures) for a slightly sleeker look that might flow with that aesthetic a little better and might be a little more versatile. Some might disagree but I think it’s also sleek enough to work with a suit in a pinch View attachment 1601367View attachment 1601368

From there once you’ve got fit nailed down and know you like TLB - you could go with an oxford in black, dark brown or burgundy could be good (that dark brown balmoral you posted initially would be a good place holder here) or you could go more casual with the split toe derby you posted.

fourth pair if you opted for split toe and oxford I’d add after doing the split toe and the oxford would be a boot - maybe a chukka in a dark brown suede or a loafer in polo or dark brown suede depending on your region.
All good suggestions and options. Looking to add such a Loafer, Goya 117 maybe, narrow pant hem may lend more toward the loafer look. For the boot chukka or even something in the more military style with commando sole if we get snow.

Yeah, I’m pretty sold on TLB for value. As for last fitting that was also a concern, so was looking at the dark brown balmoral for versatility along with being Picasso to test the waters and ensure that the last fits for other possible options down the road. The Velazquez while lit doesn’t share last with many other options. Then the wingtip has the shared last, is sleek, is hatch dark brown, so was like maybe could make it work?

I agree with the waiting game to pick exact options, but also need shoes to rotate or risk wearing the early pairs out.

Any light brown opinions? Austerity Brogue Picasso?

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All good suggestions and options. Looking to add such a Loafer, Goya 117 maybe, narrow pant hem may lend more toward the loafer look. For the boot chukka or even something in the more military style with commando sole if we get snow.

Yeah, I’m pretty sold on TLB for value. As for last fitting that was also a concern, so was looking at the dark brown balmoral for versatility along with being Picasso to test the waters and ensure that the last fits for other possible options down the road. The Velazquez while lit doesn’t share last with many other options. Then the wingtip has the shared last, is sleek, is hatch dark brown, so was like maybe could make it work?

I agree with the waiting game to pick exact options, but also need shoes to rotate or risk wearing the early pairs out.

Any light brown opinions? Austerity Brogue Picasso?
TLB if the last fits you is nice because only the toe shape changes. Rest of the fit stays similar or same which is handy.

I avoid light brown and tans - particularly oxfords. Hard to pair well because it clashes. I suppose if you had really light grey but even then I’d rather do black or dark brown or even burgundy/oxblood.

Kudoskaiser

Reaction score
Hoping to get some feedback on sizing for a TLB Artista Adelaide or Balmoral Oxford on Picasso last. The trouble is not many physical stores where I live to try similar brands to get a size to compare to.
My feet measure 27.9cm long, are quite flat with forefoot width of 10.5cm and forefoot circumference of 25cm.

I wear US11 in Nike and all my hiking boots are EUR 44.

Only two well known brands I could find in my city are Loake and RM Williams.

In the Loake Oxford they only had F and G widths to try. I felt most comfortable in 9.5UK F width.

In RM Williams Chelsea boot I fitted a 10F but only with orthotics in.

I don't plan on wearing orthotics with these next shoes.

Based on my length I was thinking I'd be a UK 9.5 or 10? Just not sure which width to get? A MTO in 10E or a 9.5 in F...

Shetterd

Reaction score
Based on my length I was thinking I'd be a UK 9.5 or 10? Just not sure which width to get? A MTO in 10E or a 9.5 in F...
This isn't really an answer, but if you have not tried TLB before and are unsure of sizing, it may be worth not getting an MTO as your first purchase so you can return/exchange for a different size without incurring too much of a sunk cost.

Kudoskaiser

Reaction score
This isn't really an answer, but if you have not tried TLB before and are unsure of sizing, it may be worth not getting an MTO as your first purchase so you can return/exchange for a different size without incurring too much of a sunk cost.
Sound advice. I just wasn't sure if MTO was the only way to get an E width if that's what was required .

Emil S

Reaction score
Hoping to get some feedback on sizing for a TLB Artista Adelaide or Balmoral Oxford on Picasso last. The trouble is not many physical stores where I live to try similar brands to get a size to compare to.
My feet measure 27.9cm long, are quite flat with forefoot width of 10.5cm and forefoot circumference of 25cm.

In the Loake Oxford they only had F and G widths to try. I felt most comfortable in 9.5UK F width.

Based on our experience you are most likely 9.5.

Boggis

Reaction score
Sound advice. I just wasn't sure if MTO was the only way to get an E width if that's what was required .
As someone who did & an MTO to get an E width on my first TLB order I'd second this advice.
You're better sticking with the standard stock to get a feel for sizing, because at least that way you can return if the fit isn't good.

apd90700

Reaction score

One thing about AceMarks is they have a decent size guide printout you can do to get your foot size. Make sure after you get the length, you use the appropriate length printout to get your width. This should tell you then the conversion to make from US to UK, EU, JP sizing.

Sounds like you know your size, but I'd give that a go anyway since you can never be too careful with these things.

I'd take my exact US measurement that the printout gives, then buy RTW from TLBMallorca directly on the Last you want to try, in the exact US to UK conversion length, with the F width if that's all that's offered. See if it fits. Note that if it is snug, you may have a break in period where it gets better, but if it's tight, may have your answer on the sizing. You could also if tight, exchange a size length up to see how that fits, but I won't comment on etiquette of that should you decide the larger size doesn't fit either.

P.S. Loafers seem to run large in fit, so if you are a usual UK 9.5 G width, the UK 9.5 F width may actually fit you well.

Last edited:

apd90700

Reaction score
A challenger appears for the Dark Brown!

Punch Cap Balmoral Oxford Dark Brown Museum [City]
1619723255287.png

1619723270306.png

1619723282384.png

apd90700

Reaction score
Predicated on process of elimination, leaning heavily for my first Dark Brown to be... Picasso 110. Still considering, but here are some thoughts.

Reasoning --
  1. I have yet to try the Picasso last, and since TLB offers free returns/exchanges, makes the $45 Skolyx return less optimal.
  2. The shoe shape is sleek, which as @Jmr928 mentioned goes better with the pant style I'll be wearing [slim/tapered] -- vs the Split Toe which is maybe not the best look for slim/taper.
    1. Yes - Not ideal for pairing with suits. if this pair is meant to be worn with suits I’d go another direction.

You were the guy who wanted a pretty slim fit from your suit right? If that’s the case I’d do the balmoral on Picasso with a leather sole. A split toe in grained leather will clash with most suits but especially so if you’re after a modern sleek look from your tailoring. Edit // Fabric will play into this as well. A flannel, tweed, etc would be better with a split toe. If you’re going worsted, sharkskin, etc definitely steer toward a more sleek oxford in a smooth leather.
  3. The majority of clothing will be more casual in design, rather than formal, so the hatch grain and fully-brogue pattern here won't clash overmuch with informal attire -- formal attire won't be worn often. But slim last with slim pant can work. Going with smooth calf leather could be maybe too formal in some of the casual settings these would be worn, making the captoes less optimal.
  4. The shoe is one I really like the looks of, so it's not like I'm settling for it, rather I had in my mind an even split between the first three pairs on the original post. This is maybe the "most shoe for the money" in that it includes a feature you'd need to do MTO on -- Double City Sole -- which should provide good durability for my first dark browns if I over wear them.
  5. Not to mention, I really like the idea of owning the 110 after Preston's Elegant Oxford review -- one of the many reasons I decided on TLB as my first nice shoe brand.

1619728995667.png

Last edited:

apd90700

Reaction score

apd90700

Reaction score
Anyone have personal experience caring for Hatch Grain and if there are caveats to be aware of? Thinking that waxing the toe may be more difficult due to the grain texture?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy