• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My very first pair of TLBs, and one of my favorite pairs of shoes. There about a year and a half old now.

They are light brown old England leather, made on the Alan last, but upgraded to artists construction, hence the beveled waist. JR soles

View attachment 1598414 View attachment 1598415

Almost time for a resole.

View attachment 1598416
18 month in and they already need a resole? Do you beat the crap out of your shoes or how come you need a resole this early?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to compare the pictures but I find it difficult to really tell the difference between the P and V lasts. Which one is more square?

See the post below.

So, here's some shots.

Two Van Gogh samples:

View attachment 1596761

Van Gogh to the left, Picasso to the right:

View attachment 1596762

Van Gogh to the left, Picasso to the right (not perfectly aligned toe spring due to different shoe trees, and hard to capture the shapes, but anyways):

View attachment 1596764

And a film, Van Gogh to the left with wooden TLB shoe tree, Picasso to the right with plastic Skolyx travel shoe trees.

So, as I stated earlier and which I hope is evident now, they are very similar in terms of how square they are and how chiseled the sides are, but Van Gogh has a more chiseled toe tip with a sort of "ridge" when seen in profile, while Picasso has a more even downwards flow all the way forward.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
18 month in and they already need a resole? Do you beat the crap out of your shoes or how come you need a resole this early?
They don't really need a resole, I just wore through the leather piece that covers the stitching. there's still lots of sole left past that. Also, I do wear this alot, and I also have to walk a lot on concrete, so that will wear a sole down. I walk several miles every day on sidewalks.

Boggis

Reaction score
They don't really need a resole, I just wore through the leather piece that covers the stitching. there's still lots of sole left past that. Also, I do wear this alot, and I also have to walk a lot on concrete, so that will wear a sole down. I walk several miles every day on sidewalks.

It's something I've often wondered about "closed channel" stitching. Aesthetically it looks better when you take it out of the box, but it's really a point of weaknesses.
In terms of time required for a resole it really depends on your lifestyle and how much you walk. I'd be ecstatic to get 18 months out a leather sole myself.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stupid question, I know, but please indulge me. When they talk about "vegano leather," I'm assuming that is referencing veg-tanned and not some form of vegan "leather."

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, gentlemen. I have once again proven the adage that there are no stupid questions but only stupid people who ask questions. Cheers.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Note now that Annonay's description is not that clear, even a bit deceptive, since they talk about "a box calf handle" (a language thing I think, believe it's more correctly described in French), where box calf normally refers to chrome tanned fully aniline dyed leathers.

To say it clearly, Vegano is the name of Annonays chrome tanned crust leather (Vocalou is the name of their standard chrome tanned aniline dyed box calf). So no, it's not vegetable tanned nor "vegan leather", it's just a name.

Last edited:

boot_owl

Reaction score
It's something I've often wondered about "closed channel" stitching. Aesthetically it looks better when you take it out of the box, but it's really a point of weaknesses.
In terms of time required for a resole it really depends on your lifestyle and how much you walk. I'd be ecstatic to get 18 months out a leather sole myself.

just wondering why you would consider it a point of weakness vs open channel stitching? Yes it will look worse than brand new closed channel soles but I’m not sure I see it as a weakness

MacGuffen

Reaction score
I've seen some chukkas on the Goya and Alan last, but has anyone tried making custom chukkas on other lasts? I was thinking Bryan or Howard would be more suitable for casual suede chukkas.

Boggis

Reaction score
just wondering why you would consider it a point of weakness vs open channel stitching? Yes it will look worse than brand new closed channel soles but I’m not sure I see it as a weakness

I just mean it in a purely aesthetic sense, I.e. after wearing for a while you end up with flappy bits of leather that you wouldn't get with open channels.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Also, does anyone have photos of Artista shoes with Inca or Senior sole? Do you still get the slim waist and increased arch support? Maybe even bevelled waist with the Senior sole?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads