• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Titling Application Essay

jfclarky

Reaction score
I am applying to business school, kind of early, whatever it doesn't matter. Question, to title the application essay(s) or not and should include my name on the header or footer?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
what would your title be? also id include all of your contact information, but it will be removed during the application review process

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
bear in mind that the people reviewing this applications are locked in a big windowless room and reading hundreds of essays a time.

jfclarky

Reaction score
I understand, this is my personal essay, and I am not sure if should be titled or not. I'll flip a coin.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest simply putting your name, whatever the application called the essay, name of the school, and the page number as a header on each page, unless indicated otherwise in the application. Some schools I applied to were quite specific in this regard and others had no guidance at all.

Joe Smith - Personal Statement/Essay 1/etc. - HBS - Page 1

Don't title it something campy, unless you're trying to stand out as a non-traditional applicant:

Joe Smith: An Appreciation of Excellence

Just my 2 cents.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I have a strict policy where I don't apply for any jobs or programs which ask me to write an essay as part of the application process.

Give your essay a title. It will make it more memorable for the person reading it, and help them understand it. Without a title, it's easier to get lost and not know what the point of the essay is/give up and move on to the next one.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I have a strict policy where I don't apply for any jobs or programs which ask me to write an essay as part of the application process. Give your essay a title. It will make it more memorable for the person reading it, and help them understand it. Without a title, it's easier to get lost and not know what the point of the essay is/give up and move on to the next one.
If they can't get the point of your "why mba" essay for bschool, you need to rewrite it.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Indeed, but when I'm reading/grading 150 or so essays, I give it about 15 seconds a page unless it grabs me.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
fwiw, i don't think you should give the essay a title other than personal statement.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
IF it's just a personal statement then I agree. But if it's something like "write something about ____" where the specifics are up to you, then it's a good idea to have a specific title.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
"Why I Hate Black People" by J.F. Clarky.

At least it'll get attention.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
"Why I Hate Black People" by J.F. Clarky. At least it'll get attention.
I knew I shouldn't have titled my essay for Jet Li's PA "********: Human Cockroaches" :/

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Indeed, but when I'm reading/grading 150 or so essays, I give it about 15 seconds a page unless it grabs me.

I have to hope they at least give every application at least one read through. It costs the applicant ~$250 to submit, so that's the least they can do. They must, because there are enough stories of applicants with terrible stats (GPA, GMAT, etc.) and great life/work experience that end up in bschool.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jfclarky
I am applying to business school, kind of early, whatever it doesn't matter. Question, to title the application essay(s) or not and should include my name on the header or footer?

Are you applying for the class of 2014?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads