• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tips/regrets for first "custom made" suit?

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are somethings you forgot or regretted when you had your first MTM or bespoked suit made?
(is it bespoked? bespoken?)

i got measured today at Savile Row tailor in Itaewon, Seoul, South Korea
and going in for my first fitting tomorrow
i've read several good reviews about this place in the "tailors in south korea" thread
so i decided to give him a try

i don't know much about suits... my last suit purchase was a hugo boss slim fit
which looks good but i greatly regret purchasing because i paid way too much for it
ffffuuuu.gif

anyway
i am getting a 2-button single breast 2-piece suit, charcoal super 110 wool (one of the top locally produced korean brands)
fully canvassed and lined, no pick stitching
not boxy but not super slim fitting either
3" lapels, high arm holes, slimmed sleeves
the gorge/notch is not super high... just below my clavicles
the typical 3 pockets on suit jacket (1 breast, 2 lower pockets with the flaps)
working cuff buttons, horn buttons
flat front pants, no cuffs, low rise but not super low rise
i actually took a pair of suit pants i like and asked the tailor to just copy the design so i should be ok there
not sure if i missed anything important...

so what were some details you had wished you had/hadn't gotten on your first MTM/bespoke suit?

dasai

Reaction score
My first MTM was after I had lost a ton of weight, and was more a matter of necessity than anything else because I had job interviews coming up. I was still figuring out what looked good on my new body type, so I basically went with what I knew and the salesperson's suggestions.

Overall, it wasn't bad, but if I had to do it over again, I would have chosen a slightly wider lapel (3.5" instead of 3.25), a 6/5 vest instead of a hard-5, and more fitted slacks (is that an oxymoron?) than the double-reverse-pleated ones I went with -- probably a single forward pleat. I would also like to have saved up more money to afford a heavier fabric and nicer buttons, but that wasn't really an option at the time.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of these guys are still kinda in the 90's. Specify that you don't want shoulders that make you look like Hawk or Animal.

It's not much more expensive to get the vest made if you're interested. You may rarely wear it, but it's one of those things you can't really add later.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was debating whether to get a vest made or not... but as this is my first suit i'm having made to specification, i didn't want to go too crazy
just wanted to see how everything turned out first

darn it..
i totally forgot to address the shoulder padding issue...
i'll have to go over that at the fitting

essej

Reaction score
Don't get a belt buckle cutout for your vest
rotflmao.gif

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by essej
Don't get a belt buckle cutout for your vest
rotflmao.gif

lol
i saw that thread... that was a travesty
i'm not getting anything fancy with my suit

i went in for my first fitting
the jacket was too long but other than that everything else seemed pretty spot on
although it's difficult to say for sure without actual buttons on the jacket
i hope the suit will come out right and won't need any more adjustments

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads