• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips on tailoring a suit?

ForeverYoung

Reaction score
I was recently given a brand new suit as a gift. It is a beautiful Tommy Hilfiger tailored suit in dark grey with subtle pinstripes. The size is 36 slim. The jacket needs to be altered, I want the entire suit to be relatively slim cut seeing as I'm a pretty slim guy. Judging from when I wear it, the shoulders need to be taken in a little, the back needs to be taken in as well and the cuffs need to be slightly shortened. First of all, where would I go to have something like this done? I've gotten my jacket altered at a Nordstrom Rack before, would that be ok again or should I take my suit to a Men's Warehouse or what? Also, if I'm looking for a slim cut suit, what things are essential so I can pass that on to the tailor. Also I have to have the pants adjusted, should I have cuffs on the bottom or no cuffs, and how much break should the pants have over my shoes. Please let me know asap so I can get this done within the week, thank you for your time guys, I'll show you pics when it's done!
lol8[1].gif

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that you can take your personal suits to the places you mentioned sine they will only alter their own suits they sell. Take it to a tailor. don't know where you live but ask family and friends and ask this forum for some good tailkors.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with dragon; the changes you want are extensive and require a pretty competent tailor. I wouldn't trust that kind of work to Men's Wearhouse or Nordstrom Rack.

ForeverYoung

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick input. I'm living in SD right now. I'll be in the Bay Area for the month of July near San Jose. Can anyone recommend me some good tailors in the area?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you will be in the San Jose area, there is Bob Stankovic in Menlo Park. I take all my suits to him for alterations. He's pretty expensive but very very good. He's the outside tailor for Nordstrom and wilkes Bashford.

lpwb32

Reaction score
if the alterations are that extensive you should really just wear it as is for the time being if possible. one wk isnt enough time for most tailors if they're somewhat busy (and the best places usually are).

pant hem and shorten sleeves no problem. to slim up the jacket going to take more time because a good tailor will want you to come back for a fitting or two. i recently had a suit tailored in the same way as you. it dual rear vents and slimming it up can cause it to "pucker" at the vents. my understanding is that the larger armholes on jackets these days make it really difficult to slim down a jacket without causing weird puckers near the vents unless the jacket was originally cut that way. i dont know how slim tommy suits are to begin with. it took a few fittings to get it perfect for me but maybe you can just do part of the work this wk and bring it back in the future.

if you're going for the modern slim look, you probably want no cuffs on the pants.

WSW

Reaction score
It'll be too much work to get the suit to fit the way you want to and will cost you much more than the suit itself. And there is no guarantee that it will even work. Next time, buy so that the jacket fits your shoulders as perfectly as you like, and the cut is also what you like.

ForeverYoung

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, actually I don't have to have it done until September, it's just I was gonna go back to San Jose after this week so it would've been more convenient for me to have it done asap. The suit was a gift, and the jacket actually fits me pretty well, the adjustments would only be minor, not extreme. How should I proceed, thanks.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ForeverYoung
Thanks for the replies, actually I don't have to have it done until September, it's just I was gonna go back to San Jose after this week so it would've been more convenient for me to have it done asap. The suit was a gift, and the jacket actually fits me pretty well, the adjustments would only be minor, not extreme. How should I proceed, thanks.

I would take it to Bob Stankovic for the alterations. It can be done in 3 days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads