• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips on last: chiseled, square toe.

Fluffkex

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm quite new to the world of quality shoes, and now it's time to buy my first pair of... real oxfords.
I'm looking for a last with a square and chiseled toe, and I'm looking to my more experienced breatheren for advice.
I'm not looking to pay more than, say ~ $400-500. "The cheaper, the better" (Not really true, but I hope you know what i mean, i've gotta start building from something).

Examples of lasts that i've found really stunning, for reference;
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...lk-Calf-389-Last-5_1024x1024.jpg?v=1495112966

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...ordeaux-062-Last-1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1502887654

Any tips much appreciated :)

PatchedUp

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm quite new to the world of quality shoes, and now it's time to buy my first pair of... real oxfords.
I'm looking for a last with a square and chiseled toe, and I'm looking to my more experienced breatheren for advice.
I'm not looking to pay more than, say ~ $400-500. "The cheaper, the better" (Not really true, but I hope you know what i mean, i've gotta start building from something).

Examples of lasts that i've found really stunning, for reference;
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...lk-Calf-389-Last-5_1024x1024.jpg?v=1495112966

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...ordeaux-062-Last-1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1502887654

Any tips much appreciated :)
I assume you are in the US?
If you like those CS wholecuts, or at least that last then why not go for Carlos Santos?

I assume you were looking at the Skoaktiebolaget website? It sits nicely into your budget. Good shoes and should get you started off nicely.

The Enzo Bonafe's will be a little out of your price range but I realise you were looking more for style rather than the actual shoes.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first pair that you illustrate are not Oxfords, so what do you actually want?

PatchedUp

Reaction score
The first pair that you illustrate are not Oxfords, so what do you actually want?
Unless I'm missing something or I'm looking at a different image, they are wholecut Oxfords?

Fluffkex

Reaction score

Afaik those are oxfords o_O, but thats beside the point. It was a reference to the kind of last I'm looking for.

Fluffkex

Reaction score
I assume you are in the US?
If you like those CS wholecuts, or at least that last then why not go for Carlos Santos?

I assume you were looking at the Skoaktiebolaget website? It sits nicely into your budget. Good shoes and should get you started off nicely.

The Enzo Bonafe's will be a little out of your price range but I realise you were looking more for style rather than the actual shoes.

Yeah I was looking at getting those. But I'm not sure if a wholecut is 'versatile' enough for me at this point. And I dont really like the other options on the 389 last. Enzo Bonafe had a few really good ones, but they are a little bit the pricey for me right now.

Fluffkex

Reaction score
Oxfords have toe caps.

My understanding is that oxford is a reference to the oxford lacing(closed). A cap toe is a cap toe, but it doesnt define whether a shoe is, or isnt an oxford shoe. But i might be wrong. "Wholecut oxford" seems to be commonly accepted and refered to though.

PatchedUp

Reaction score
My understanding is that oxford is a reference to the oxford lacing(closed). A cap toe is a cap toe, but it doesnt define whether a shoe is, or isnt an oxford shoe. But i might be wrong. "Wholecut oxford" seems to be commonly accepted and refered to though.
This would also be my interpretation of it. A wholecut Oxford is still an Oxford in my eyes and in many shoemakers as noted on their websites.

zanci

Reaction score
I want to buy this cs wholecut aswell but in a different colour...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads