• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips on how to choose a well fitting blazer?

betep

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm heading to the city tomorrow to pick up a navy blazer and am pretty ignorant concerning the proper fit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tweedy

Reaction score
Its a good idea to search the forum for previous threads on this as there is some great advice on here.
I would suggest trying a number on to get a feel for what feels right and start from there :)

betep

Reaction score
I'm reading some previous threads and there is some mixed opinions on where the jacket should end around the butt. Kinda confused.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm reading some previous threads and there is some mixed opinions on where the jacket should end around the butt. Kinda confused.

Just low enough to hide the seat.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Generally, there are two camps:

-Classic (coats that are timeless more traditional)
-Progressive ( more contemporary - slightly shorter - etc)

It depends on your body type and style. I, for example, cannot wear anything with high armholes and strong shoulder padding/ropping because of my athletic build and broad shoulders. However, a brand like RLPL or RLP can look more fitted on me because the generous cut and natural shoulder looks smaller on my larger frame.

What is your body type, how old are you and what do you do?

Last edited:

betep

Reaction score
23 y/o student, very athletic but slim body type. 6'3" ~190 lbs.

Last edited:

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
23 y/o student, very athletic but slim body type. 6'3" ~190 lbs.

Thanks.

You're body type will work with a lot of different brands. What are you a 42L? Whats your budget?

betep

Reaction score
~1k or so but to be honest I'd rather just get the J.Crew Ludlow Blazer and slim it down at the tailors. It's $335 after a student discount

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy whatever needs the least alterations. Make sure chest and shoulders fit correctly and then look for an athletic/slim cut jacket that does not need too much waist suppression. Salesmen will tell you that any poor fitting jacket can be altered to fit you, but that poor fitting jacket will never look as good as the jacket that needed the least amount of alterations. Look for Ralph Lauren Polo or Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald blazers.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Buy whatever needs the least alterations. Make sure chest and shoulders fit correctly and then look for an athletic/slim cut jacket that does not need too much waist suppression. Salesmen will tell you that any poor fitting jacket can be altered to fit you, but that poor fitting jacket will never look as good as the jacket that needed the least amount of alterations. Look for Ralph Lauren Polo or Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald blazers.
Reasonable advice although "Look for Ralph Lauren Polo or Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald blazers." is questionable rather undermines the original thrust of this post.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Buy whatever needs the least alterations.  Make sure chest and shoulders fit correctly and then look for an athletic/slim cut jacket that does not need too much waist suppression.  Salesmen will tell you that any poor fitting jacket can be altered to fit you, but that poor fitting jacket will never look as good as the jacket that needed the least amount of alterations.

I would agree with this ^
To add,
Wear a button down collared shirt on your outing. Wear also some decent pants; pants that you would like to wear with this jacket. This will help with making a selection. Make sure the jacket covers your butt. Do not buy a short jacket because with your height, it will look rdiculous. Buy regular or long, whichever covers your butt. Don't wear thick pants because it will push the back of the jacket out.

SlamMan

Reaction score
This.

Shoulders first

Buy a jacket that has shoulders that look properly sized to the proportions of your body and the expression you're looking for. If you have narrow shoulders you may want something that extends a bit and gives you a broader shoulder. If you already have broad shoulders a narrower, softer shoulder may look more balanced. The rest can be taken in and let out. Don't just buy the jacket that fits you closest in the chest.

For length, the jacket bottom should come close to splitting the difference from the bottom of the collar to the bottom of the floor. Shorter for a more "fashionable" look. Cover the seat is a less than ideal rule of thumb. If your torso is proportionally shorter or longer than your legs it may look out of balance if you just cover the seat. You want a balanced look. Not just to cover a body part.

sborg

Reaction score
Everybody's mentioning the shoulders should fit well because it's true. How can you put the blazer on you if the shoulders don't fit.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reasonable advice although "Look for Ralph Lauren Polo or Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald blazers." is questionable rather undermines the original thrust of this post.

Since OP and I seem to have roughly the same build, I was making a suggestion on a good starting place. I've found that those two plus Samuelsohn fit me best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads