• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips of Spotting Fake Rolexes - Part 2

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
Gents,
Thanks for all the guidance and advice on the first post about spotting fake Rolexes, especially corey.m and junior varsity. The bottom line was this - most of you recommended staying away from EBAY and only buy from authorized dealers. So I did. I bought a gorgeous date just - salmon dial - stick figure - stainless steel from an AD in Vegas. I found the same watch for about 1k less on EBAY but after reading some of the links you guys sent me....let me tell you, I sleep great at night.
So back to the fakes....
Ok. So. I'm in Dallas on business. I take another date just that I have (my wife bought me 10 years ago for $2k). She bought it from a jeweler in LA. On the receipt, the guy wrote 'gold coins'. OMG. Lately, it's been dropping time so I took it to the Rolex Service Center (ROLEX USA) in Dallas. I give them the watch and they take it apart and assess it right there - how much it would cost to refurbish, service movement, etc. So was it a fake? No! It was real. But, someone put the wrong bezel on it and the wrong crystal. They did everything for $1300. Great service!! In speaking with the technician there, he didn't understand what all the hoopla was about fakes. He indicated that as soon as a master watch repair guy (is that the term) opens up a Rolex, they know right away if it is a fake or not. All the fancy CADCAM work to replicate a Rolex goes out the window when they open it. Moral to the story - buy from an AD, if you can't - get an AD to inspect your purchase to ascertain authenticity. And to all the Rolex haters ....in the end, it's all about a very valuable commodity that we work with everyday and how much we value it - TIME.

Suave

Reaction score
i thought this was a guide to spotting fake rolexes. . .​

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So what did they do for your $1300? I hope that included a new bezel and crystal.

Bandit44

Reaction score
$1200 seems excessively high for a service. They must have charged you an arm and a leg for the new bezel. Omega is the same way with their bezels- replacement cost for my Seamaster is about $300.

I recently got my Omega back from an authorized service center. For a full service, it cost me $400 and they replaced all the gaskets, the dial, dial hands, crystal, and some mechanical parts. All the worn parts were put in a plastic bag and mailed back with the watch. Looks brand new.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is there a dust in it?

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
Sir,
They gave me a credit towards the new, proper gold bezel and kept the old one. They also replaced both hands, something about luminesence that I didn't totally understand (anyone?) - apparently it can leak into the movement(??). New crystal. I was shocked at how easy they made it for me. And they don't charge your card until the work is done and ready to mail.

bjornb17

Reaction score
That is great, but what does it have to do with the price of tea in China?

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Suave
i thought this was a guide to spotting fake rolexes. . .

Hmmmmm, let's put it back on track...

Anyway - The date magnifying glass should actually magnify and form a subtle bump

Another - The movement of the second hand (if it has one) should be "smooth" without loud clicking every second

Another - The register markings, fakes usually have something different than the usual Rolex stopwatch and more along the lines of dates. The stop watch should work.

Another - Should be sapphire glass, so it should not scratch or dent easily (e.g. with a razor blade)

Feel free to add

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty big watch collection, and a few of them are fakes.

I have a fake Rolex Daytona. It weighs the same (to the gram) as a genuine one. Serial number is engraved between the lugs, on the inner bezel (along with the ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX), actual hologram on the caseback with serial number, Rolex crown laser-engraved on the crystal. Swiss high-beat movement modified with Rolex markings and stuff.

In other words, all these tips will save you from crappy fakes. Good fakes -- counterfeits really -- are virtually impossible to spot.

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
Excellent points.

Originally Posted by GBer
Hmmmmm, let's put it back on track...

Anyway - The date magnifying glass should actually magnify and form a subtle bump

Another - The movement of the second hand (if it has one) should be "smooth" without loud clicking every second

Another - The register markings, fakes usually have something different than the usual Rolex stopwatch and more along the lines of dates. The stop watch should work.

Another - Should be sapphire glass, so it should not scratch or dent easily (e.g. with a razor blade)

Feel free to add

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I have a pretty big watch collection, and a few of them are fakes.

I have a fake Rolex Daytona. It weighs the same (to the gram) as a genuine one. Serial number is engraved between the lugs, on the inner bezel (along with the ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX), actual hologram on the caseback with serial number, Rolex crown laser-engraved on the crystal. Swiss high-beat movement modified with Rolex markings and stuff.

In other words, all these tips will save you from crappy fakes. Good fakes -- counterfeits really -- are virtually impossible to spot.

1. Buy Rolex in question.
2. Replace movement with genuine Valijoux movement
3. Replace face with genuine Daytona face
4. Replace crystal
5. Call it a real Rolex
6. Save replaced parts, just in case

woolymammoth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
Hmmmmm, let's put it back on track... Another - The movement of the second hand (if it has one) should be "smooth" without loud clicking every second Feel free to add
My Rolex second-hand is not smooth and clicks fairly loud...
OQ-Roman-17000-b.jpg

Singular

Reaction score
My advice; if it is a modern model - just pop it open. It will show immediately. If it some kind of exotic vintage - ask the geeks, you're paying lots for small details that fakers love to "enhance" watches with.

The general advice that GBer gives is virtually worthless - if someone wants to sell you a fake pretending it's real, it will fulfill all the requirements listed.

/M

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
1. Buy Rolex in question.
2. Replace movement with genuine Valijoux movement
3. Replace face with genuine Daytona face
4. Replace crystal
5. Call it a real Rolex
6. Save replaced parts, just in case

Valijoux 7750 won't work on a Daytona. Seconds at 6 on a daytona as opposed to seconds at 9, standard 7750. There are modifications of the 7750 out there but they are not reliable.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by woolymammoth
My Rolex second-hand is not smooth and clicks fairly loud...

OysterQuartz.
Gets them every time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads