• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips for Phone Interviews?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I have a phone interview Wednesday for a pretty big job in the legal department of a large defense contractor (I'm selling out and going private sector). The problem is I have never done a phone interview. I have a moderate stutter, which held me back a bit in my profession as a lobbyist (it actually helped when I investigated charity fraud). I compensated by almost always meeting face-to-face (when I stutter less and charm better) and using an earpiece that helps to alleviate it. I can't use the earpiece over the phone. I went out with the HR lady a few times and called her when I applied and she's given me the inside scoop and prepped the interviewer on the speech thing. There are five other interviewees out of a pool of almost 200.

I'm not asking for advice regarding the stuttering, that's pretty much a given obstacle I'll have to overcome. I'd really like to know:

Are there any differences you've encountered in a phone interview?
Are they as in-depth?
Is the importance placed on them high? Is it just a preliminary screen?

I suspect it varies widely, I'm just pretty nervous about this - I interview poorly with men and have never done a phone interview. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Can't really help vis a vis the interview process itself, but I can help you with the phone thing.

1- get comfortable.
2- get a headset. A good one. Borrow it if you have to. This will make a world of difference and will remove one level of annoyance that can come into play (sweaty ear, tired hand) because who knows how long it'll last

On the phone be professional but laid back and friendly. Do not use hesitation words (umm uhh etc) The mute button is your friend if you need to clear your throat.

etc

Customer service experience helps....

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I also can't add much as far as the actual interview is concerned, but if you are gonna take the advice to wear a headset, you might wanna get it tomorrow and use it and get used to it. The difference that it has compared to holding a phone to your ear or using speakerphone could be big, wouldn't want it to throw off your mojo or anything.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I have a phone interview Wednesday for a pretty big job in the legal department of a large defense contractor (I'm selling out and going private sector). The problem is I have never done a phone interview. I have a moderate stutter, which held me back a bit in my profession as a lobbyist (it actually helped when I investigated charity fraud). I compensated by almost always meeting face-to-face (when I stutter less and charm better) and using an earpiece that helps to alleviate it. I can't use the earpiece over the phone. I went out with the HR lady a few times and called her when I applied and she's given me the inside scoop and prepped the interviewer on the speech thing. There are five other interviewees out of a pool of almost 200. I'm not asking for advice regarding the stuttering, that's pretty much a given obstacle I'll have to overcome. I'd really like to know: Are there any differences you've encountered in a phone interview? Are they as in-depth? Is the importance placed on them high? Is it just a preliminary screen? I suspect it varies widely, I'm just pretty nervous about this - I interview poorly with men and have never done a phone interview. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
I know you didn't ask for stutter advise, and this might sound wacky, but could you ask a very good friend to sit in on the call with you? Would it make you feel more comfortable if you could look at/charm her as you're responding to the questions?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure it depends on the company, but I've generally found most phone interviews to be preliminary screens and not as in-depth as a face-to-face. Then again, if they've already narrowed it down to 6 applicants, this could be the exception - but my guess is from this 2 or 3 of you will get invited for in-person interviews.

My suggestion is just the old telephone sales tricks of standing and smiling while you're on the phone. It sounds stupid I know but standing allows you to project and sound better on the phone (something about lengthening the diaphragm) and smiling makes your voice sound better and actually comes across to the person on the other end. The other thing is, like any interview, take a moment to compose your answer before blurting something out. It's easy to just ramble on the phone as that is what many of us do in daily life, but in an interview it's important to first think through what you want to say.

One benefit to a phone interview for you is that you can actually take notes about specific points while the interviewer is speaking and then come back to address them in your response.

Most of all though, just be yourself and let your personality come through.

Good luck!

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
I know you didn't ask for stutter advise, and this might sound wacky, but could you ask a very good friend to sit in on the call with you? Would it make you feel more comfortable if you could look at/charm her as you're responding to the questions?

I wish I could, but I'm actually going to be at work and take the call on my lunch break in a quiet space in my office building. This sounds sad, but I'm going to intentionally get intoxicated the night before (the interview isn't until one), the residual alcohol suppresses the level of dopamine in my brain, which helps me talk a lot better.

Thanks a lot for the responses guys, I appreciate the advice.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I could, but I'm actually going to be at work and take the call on my lunch break in a quiet space in my office building. This sounds sad, but I'm going to intentionally get intoxicated the night before (the interview isn't until one), the residual alcohol suppresses the level of dopamine in my brain, which helps me talk a lot better.

Thanks a lot for the responses guys, I appreciate the advice.

That's one of the better excuses to drink I've ever heard.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I could, but I'm actually going to be at work and take the call on my lunch break in a quiet space in my office building. This sounds sad, but I'm going to intentionally get intoxicated the night before (the interview isn't until one), the residual alcohol suppresses the level of dopamine in my brain, which helps me talk a lot better. Thanks a lot for the responses guys, I appreciate the advice.
Well, then imagine a gorgeous woman sitting in on the interview and charm the pants off her. Seriously. Bradford's standing and smiling advice is great too -- do whatever you can to put your body into a strong, energized position. Slow, deep diaphragmatic breathing can be extremely helpful as well. Take advantage of the fact that they can't see you and do whatever goofy thing you need to do to put yourself in a good place physically. Shake your torso around like a rag doll to release tension, etc. Good luck.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
That's one of the better excuses to drink I've ever heard.
Believe me, I really don't want to, my job is bad enough without a hangover.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have done way too many phone interviews, and have also interviewed dozens of people on the phone. a few of my tips

1. if at all possible, don't do it at your office on your lunch break. this will cause you stress and make it difficult for you to speak as long as you need to.

2. get a small mirror, and keep smiling - like Bradford said, smiling is good. standing is good, too, if you can do it.

3. here is my take on phone interviews - they are to weed out people who you don't want to actually interview. this means that the interviewer might very well have 3-5 points that he/she needs to ask, and if you don't have a specific one, you're out. this means that you have to be listening for those clues, and you have to be able to say either that you have it, or show why it is just as good that you don't have it. for instance - I was looking for people with experience in 2 differnt types of companies, and in 3 or 4 specific countries, the last time I did phone interviews. the first thing that I asked was about those specific points. anybody who couldn't anser in the afermative, I simply ended the call. but the guy I ended up hiring was pretty weak in terms of the coutries he had worked in, but he was able to tell me (trutfully) that he has done some work in those coutries - if he had said "no" he wouldn't have made it. he was able to say "well, it wasn't part of my resposnibility, but I assisted a collegue in covering those markets", which was good enough to keep me on the phone.

4. the net thing is establishing some type of chemistry/value, after the specific points that are go/no go. this is just like a regular interview, except you can have your notes in front of you - which is a huge advantage.

god luck

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have access to a vocoder?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are not going to buy a headset for this purpose, and if you can get away to do the interview at another location, like your home, then gather all the phones you have and can borrow, call the same friend with each phone, and use whatever phone sounds the best to your friend. They vary a lot.

card_richelieu

Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree with the weeding out theory. The job I held before my current position was obtained via two phone interviews without any face to face. I won't go into the specifics but after I got settled in my boss and I both agreed that we were both crazy - she for tendering an offer sight unseen and me for accepting. It worked out fine - but to get to your question...

I found it much less stressful. I could be more relaxed, take notes, and need not worry about facial expressions. I've also conducted many phone interviews (usually with a panel to assist me). I've found that it is more objective in that we concentrate more on the responses than the non-verbal stuff. I always felt that the interviewees felt the same way I did in my first paragraph - you can concentrate more on content and not style.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to post a lot of what globetrotter said. I have done a fair number of phone interviews over the past year or so. As globe said they are probably looking for some specific skills or experiences and when they narrow down the people who have what they are looking for they will have a face to face interview. Obviously this isn't always the case, but so far it has been for me.

One thing that has worked for me is to find a place where I can stand up (as previously mentioned) and pace back and forth a little bit. I think better and speak better when I am on my feet moving a little. Think about what makes you comfortable on the phone and try and replicate that for the interview. Scout out a good place in your office that you can take the call and not be bothered. It's not the best situation but I have done it before and made it work. You could always do the interview in your car in the parking lot. I did a phone interview last week like that. The most important thing is for you to be relaxed so you can sell yourself to the interviewer.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually have a suggestion on dealing with the stutter, hope that is OK. I have a condition called spasmodic dysphonia, which gives my voice a very nervous-sounding shakiness in certain situations. I find that dealing with it up front in a phone call, interview, con call, meeting or presentation essentially makes it a non-issue (or even a small plus). Typically I say something like, I have a problem at times with my voice, if you / anyone can't hear me, feel free to ask me to repeat myself. On a very few occasions an interviewer has asked for more information on the voice issue, I give it and also emphasize that it has never interfered with my job performance. In any case good luck with your interview.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads