1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Tips for life / The How-To thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, Mar 28, 2006.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

no. the car in the other lane should be a safe distance behind so that your changing lanes doesn't cut him off. if someone is changing lanes i'd much rather have him slip in behind me than speed up and cut me off. also, if everyone is going at the speed limit, then in theory you can't speed up to change lanes.

i'd like to hear from a driving instructor on this. i may be totally wrong, but i'm just speaking from experience. i don't know what the book says.

My driving instructors said to accelerate into the lane, and they explained it like I did. If you need to slow down to get into the other lane, do it in your own lane. It's not safe to change lanes while braking. You don't punch the gas and slam over into the lane, it's just that you push the car over there with some power so you are done with your maneuver quickly and at the proper speed when you get there.

Also, the speed limit is usually academic. Traffic very rarely moves at the speed limit in every lane.

2. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

99% of my driving is done in heavy traffic, which may be where my point of view is coming from. when there's heavy traffic it's virtually impossible to speed up to 'an open space' in order to change lanes. around here you have to turn on your turn signal and pray that someone behind you will let you into their lane.

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

In an ideal world there would be no car crashes either.

Here is what the CA DMV site has to say: Do not slow down to make a lane change. If anything, speed up.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/senior/d...e/practice.htm

This is not the only place such advice exists.

4. j

99% of my driving is done in heavy traffic, which may be where my point of view is coming from. when there's heavy traffic it's virtually impossible to speed up to 'an open space' in order to change lanes. around here you have to turn on your turn signal and pray that someone behind you will let you into their lane.
    Okay, I see where you're coming from. That is much heavier than most traffic that I encounter, though. However, here, no one lets you in if you leave your signal on, so you have to plan it, use it to say "coming through" and do your thing before people have a chance to close the gap on you.

5. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i'm just not understanding. how do i speed up if there is a car in front of me? and how am i to speed up to an open space that isn't there?

i challenge the author of that link to follow his own advice on the hollywood freeway.

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

The very act of turning your wheels to change lanes increases friction and will result in marginal slowing. Definitely accelerate into the lane, preventing any speed loss, and most importantly, not annoying the guy you just pulled in front of (meaning anything from 10 - 750ft) by appearing as if you just pulled in front of him and slowed down. That is very annoying.

Regards,
    Huntsman

7. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Of course speeding up is not practical in that case. I have driven a lot in all sorts of heavy traffic in cities in various countries all over the world, including LA, and following the book probably would've gotten me killed by now (certainly in Asia). In stop and go type traffic one needs an ok from the driver behind to slip into a new lane. I fail to see how slowing down would "always" be the correct choice. There are many situations it would be very impractical and would not endear you to the other drivers.

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Naw, not speed up to enter a space, speed up to ensure that you will enter the lane matched to the ambient speed of that lane. If traffic is heavy, that's critical. Probably you do it already.

9. j

i'm just not understanding. how do i speed up if there is a car in front of me? and how am i to speed up to an open space that isn't there? i challenge the author of that link to follow his own advice on the hollywood freeway.
    You probably already do this automatically, you just don't notice.

I'm not saying to go from 55 to 80 and slam the car over. I'm saying while you turn the wheel to shift the car over, you ease onto the accelerator (assuming the next lane is going the same speed) to maintain speed as you get over. That way you don't drop back at all during the maneuver.

10. shellshock

shellshock Forum Mascot

i'm just not understanding. how do i speed up if there is a car in front of me? and how am i to speed up to an open space that isn't there?

well, hopefully youre not tailgating, so there actually is room to be able to speed up before getting over...

i challenge the author of that link to follow his own advice on the hollywood freeway.

...and on the 101 no one is going less than 70.

11. Matt

Matt [email protected]

how to fix problem with zipper that slides down on your jeans.... ok everyone has a pair of jeans where the zip slides down an inch or so (normally a sign that you are officially slightly too fat to be wearing them) take a key ring and remove the small wire round twisty thing that you twist the keys onto. twist that on to the hole at the top of the fly zip up loop the keyring thing around your button before you do the button up do up the button, and voila...cant slide down on you.

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Not to nitpick here, but in physics there is no such thing as deceleration. Acceleration is the rate at which an object changes velocity. This covers both positive and negative change.

Not that you can't use the word, I just want you all to know that you are using the dumbed down, adopted words out of the dictionary.

13. j

Not to nitpick here, but in physics there is no such thing as deceleration. Acceleration is the rate at which an object changes velocity. This covers both positive and negative change. Not that you can't use the word, I just want you all to know that you are using the dumbed down, adopted words out of the dictionary.
    Okay, that is some pretty serious and obscure nitpickery. Ring the bell, school's in, sucka!

We may have to institute an ObRule for this thread to prevent this sort of peanut galleryitis. I want content, dammit. I think maybe every post from here on should be required to have an obligatory tip, how-to or helpful hint, or it gets deleted. What do you think?

14. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

my post was a tip for life, or how to properly discuss negative acceleration when driving.

15. Matt

Matt [email protected]

What do you think?
    i think you should play with your split thread button and move all the stuff about freeway overtaking to a thread called uh uhhh freeway overtaking