• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips for building and exuding confidence

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wallcloud
Eat a human being. You will then harness his strength. People will be able to sense this.

I think this is foolish advice.

I think that even in USA eating a human may well be against the law in most states. There is a bit more latitude with killing.

robdpittman

Reaction score
Actually, as I understand, cannibalism is only expressly forbidden in a handful of states, however, many states do have laws as to the proper and sanitary disposal of a corpse.

Back to the real world:

The confidence thing is something almost everyone struggles with. The best advice I've been given is this:

Do things you like, and do them as well as you can.

Nothing beats a genuine sense of accomplishment to build confidence, and if you are confident in yourself, people will notice, whether you brag about it (don't, by the way) or not.

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
This is my personal view.

The people I view with the most confidence are those who are comfortable with themselves and interested the things they do. It might sound 'duh', but I think it's a valid point.

"The loudest person in the room is often the weakest link." Something along those lines. Let what you do speak for you, not what you say.

Of course, don't be a recluse in the corner of the room. Stand up for what you believe in, but don't come across as a used car salesman flapping at the lips. They might seem confident, but nobody likes them.

Toronto34

Reaction score
Deadlifts
teacha.gif

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
becoming aware of your ego, and killing it
be a more humble person

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toronto34
Deadlifts
teacha.gif

this!

The best way to become confident is to do things for yourself, in order to better yourself. Going to the gym helps you become more confident. Learning a musical instrument helps. It allows you to be a bit self-centred for a while, which gives you confidence.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Learn to smile and be happy with what's going on in your life. Nothing is sexier on a guy or a girl than someone who looks genuinely happy to be meeting someone, doing something, etc. It's not easy to do, and being happy with your situation is, for some people, a lifelong struggle. Looking like you don't want to jump off the Empire State Building is a pretty good way to exude confidence about yourself, though.

2. As others have mentioned, take up a hobby. Perhaps in grade school you had an activity you really enjoyed? Take the time to master it. TV is not a hobby; intellectually stimulate yourself and you'll naturally develop confidence.

3. Learn to not be shy! You may be the most attractive, accomplished person in the room. If you don't know how to talk about yourself and engage in conversation with someone else, though, who's going to know?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads