• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tipping to get a hotel room upgraded

JP Tod

Reaction score
Anyone ever successfully manage to get a room upgrade by tipping the front desk person?

Taking the GF down to Mexico next week. I booked a vacation package through Apple and we're in a standard, ocean-front, room, but it's on the small side. I'm wondering if slipping $100 in cash to the front desk clerk would be enough to get us upgraded. Does that sound like enough?
How, exactly, do you go about intiating that kind of thing?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$100 is a lot for mexico, even in beach resorts as the workers see that maybe in a week.....it may be insulting to tip that much (at least in my view). 10-20 bucks should suffice...if it works, it'll work........ http://www.thetwentydollartrick.com/ that's for vegas, but you get the idea.......not sure if it'll work there........

x26

Reaction score
Upon check-in just ask: "Is there a much nicer room that you can upgrade me to?"
OR: Call in advance and ask to speak with "Rooms Control"
Good Luck

ETA: I usually get upgraded w/o a tip or surcharge.

savvyibd

Reaction score
Use your credit card company/pull you have with frequent stays?

JP Tod

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure if any of my credit cards/frequent stay programs will apply. We're staying at the Las Brisas, which is an independent chain, I believe.

The deal is - I paid for a "standard" room. The next level up - to a jr. suite - was an additional $440 per person, if booked through Apple. I wasn't willing to pay that, figuring I would just take my chances upon arrival. I have already called the hotel and know that it's far from sold-out.

Well, we'll see how it goes.

savvyibd

Reaction score
If this 20 bux thing doesn't work, as them if they have any upgrades available *now* and the price for them. Take or balk.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acapulco?

Nice, I go there frequently for work....weather is fantastic....not too hot and humid (was there about 2 weeks ago).

They opened up a new upscale mall area close to the airport..but not too good ..going into town is a bit hectic.

JP Tod

Reaction score
^^ no, this one is in Ixtapa. I believe it used to be a Westin, but was recently acquired by the Las Brisas group.

Never been there, myself, but it sounds pretty good. Speaking as a Chicagoan, even hot and humid weather would be preferable to what we've had for the past few weeks.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool, same general vicinity. surprisingly not a lot of mosquitos, which was a big plus.

DO you know spanish? Sometimes there are lots of misinterpretations, even dealing with people who speak good English down in Mexico. Service ain't the greatest, at least in my experience....my advice is to appear pretty laid back and friendly...I would probably leave the money out of view until an upgrade is secured but verbally indicate that one is available (if you can upgrade me, it will be worth your while)...in this situation, I'd feel more comfortable slipping a C-note (or even better, 20s as it may be easier for them to change it versus a 100)...it may appear as a bribe (which it is, in essence).... the "go-getter" mentality doesn't seem to go that well in the beach resort areas.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ixtapa is a wonderful place. To add to your trip take a cab over to a resort in Ziha some afternoon and stay until late in the evening. I recommend either The Tides (best beach), Amuleto (best view) and small or La Casa Que Canta (the most elegant). Zihuatanejo is still a charming fishing village without the massive hotels of Ixtapa.

But back to the OP's topic. I would have a $20 handy, upon checking in, I would hand it to the clerk, smile (very important) tell him/her you are happy to be here and ask "do you have any upgrades available". If they say "no" you are only out $20 and just smile and accept whatever they say.

JP Tod

Reaction score
Just wanted to give a quick update on this thread I started. After the desk agent told me which room he was giving us (12th floor - which was barely above the tree line), I smiled and asked about any possible upgrades, which discretely showing a $20 bill in my hand.

Unfortunately, it didn't really work. Apparently, all of the rooms are basically the same except for Jr. Suites (which he offered us for an additional $200/nt). He did offer a slight bump by moving us to the 15th floor.

FWIW, we had a great time and I highly recommend the Las Brisas in Ixtapa. We did end up spending a lot of time in Zihua. The GF wants to stay there next year.

Jeez, it sucks to be back in Chicago....

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JP Tod
Just wanted to give a quick update on this thread I started. After the desk agent told me which room he was giving us (12th floor - which was barely above the tree line), I smiled and asked about any possible upgrades, which discretely showing a $20 bill in my hand.

Unfortunately, it didn't really work. Apparently, all of the rooms are basically the same except for Jr. Suites (which he offered us for an additional $200/nt). He did offer a slight bump by moving us to the 15th floor.

FWIW, we had a great time and I highly recommend the Las Brisas in Ixtapa. We did end up spending a lot of time in Zihua. The GF wants to stay there next year.

Jeez, it sucks to be back in Chicago....

Ever thought of an Amex Platinum? Upgrades galore, along with other perks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads