• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tipping furniture deliverymen

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Title says it all: Do you tip furniture deliverymen? Does it depend on how much furniture they are delivering and/or how complex the set up is? If so, how much?

To put the question in context, I am having a bed frame delivered. The bed frame will need to be set up. I already paid around $120 for delivery.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually tip them. The amount has varied between $5 to $20 per person depending on what they delivered and the complexity of getting the items into the house and set up.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i always tip as well at around 5 dollars per person for a simple delivery (but heavy) or 10 dollars per person (20 max even if 3 people show up) if the delivery includes them setting them up and stuff.

couple of times i had no extra cash on hand, so i provided them with food and drinks. they seem to like that even more.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On my move, I didn't tip. I felt a little bad, but i wasn't expecting it to be so costly and I used up the cash I had taken out just to pay them. I was figuring on 500 and it ended up costing 800. Anyway, I don't think you really need to tip. You're paying these types of guys a decent wage anyway. It's not like a restaurant where they're getting minimum wage and have to make-up the rest in tips.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe $5 per person.

Offering them a drink is always much appreciated.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
On my move, I didn't tip. I felt a little bad, but i wasn't expecting it to be so costly and I used up the cash I had taken out just to pay them. I was figuring on 500 and it ended up costing 800. Anyway, I don't think you really need to tip. You're paying these types of guys a decent wage anyway. It's not like a restaurant where they're getting minimum wage and have to make-up the rest in tips.

Your ******* toolness comes out bit by bit in every post.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's great to tip generously, but these guys can tell if you're a broke college student. The classy compromise is to have a pack of some decent beer, and maybe some potoato chips or something.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Offer them a beer and tip $20.

If it's a basic delivery (e.g., involves an elevator rather than four flights of stairs and nothinig more complicated than a normal bedframe), I'd go with Fuuma's solution. In my experience with movers and delivery guys, sodas and gatorade also go over well.

bant

Reaction score
id give them each $10 - 20 depending on work involved. they are moving your heavy **** for you - tip accordingly.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give them free cheeseburgers. That would make any man happy.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Furniture deliverymen don't make great money, but don't make chumpchange either. I would at least offer them drinks and maybe some snacks/food if I were getting a delivery. If it were a particularly challenging delivery, I would not feel bad for tipping them $5-10 bucks each.

Then again, my work's delivery fees have skyrocketed the past year or two, so I would have to consider that fact. The delivery team does not see that money, though.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tip 'em $20 bucks.

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
I tip between $5 and $20 per person depending on the complexity and size of the items. It's always a good idea to offer a drink. I had one guy delivering a couch who just needed a cell phone charge.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SantosLHalper
It's always a good idea to offer a drink.

Seriously - it's just common courtesy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads