1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tipping for take-out?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mbc, Jul 19, 2006.

1. mbc

mbc Senior member

Let's say you order some take-out from a restaurant, the kind of place where entrees go from $10 - $20. Do you tip the "cashier" (waitress, hostess, etc) when you pick the food up? If so, how much?

2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I only tip if it requires that I go through a waitress or bartender, those people are only paid if they are tipped and I don't expect them to serve me for nothing. If it is a hostess (who is on salary) I generally do not tip.

3. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

No way. If it's a waiter or bartender, all the work required is in merely taking the order, ringing it up, and maybe taking a few minutes to check on it and make sure everything is ready and bagged/boxed properly (e.g. drop napkins or plasticware in with the food). You're really not taking much of their time or distracting them from performing their duties for customers who are dining in. In the cases of hostesses, counter personnel, or specific to-go servers, all of them make a higher hourly wage, which means there's no expectation of tips built into their pay structure. Anyone who tells you otherwise is most likely a service industry person who stands to financially gain from people tipping where they don't need to do so.

I speak as someone currently working a bartender, so there is some experience behind my opinion.

4. j

j Senior member Admin

Never unless I made picky special requests that took a few minutes to take care of. In other words, never.

Related question that probably requires its own poll: do you tip in a place where you order at the counter and bus all your own food, in other words, no waitstaff? It's a dilemma. Typically I will either dump my change in their tip jar or if I leave my dishes/mess at the table I will tip a couple dollars for the hassle. I feel bad for the people who work in those places though, as a lot of people leave their stuff behind and don't bus it and don't tip, which I think is probably out of line with expectations.

5. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

yes, but only a couple of dollars.

6. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I might if I was a regular at some place where tipping might be appropriate, but I'm not a regular at any such place, so the answer is, no, never. For example, sometimes I order takeout from the diner. When I go to pick it up, if I sit down at the bar and have a coffee while waiting, then I'll leave a normal tip, but if I just walk in and the food is ready to go and I get it from the host/hostess, then I don't leave a tip.

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

nope. i give tips in appreciation of good service rendered to me, which i do not experience when i order take-outs.

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

What about at, say, a coffee shop? Is there a difference?

9. stach

stach Senior member

I generally only tip if I am seated while I place my order, except for a bar, where I always tip.

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

honestly, I only started after my wife worked for a while as a waitress, and I understood how much the servers count on it. and I still only give a buck or two.

11. chapunso

chapunso Well-Known Member

12. dusty

dusty Senior member

Of course not, I don't know why anybody would. The food usually isn't even brought by the waitress -- more likely the hostess or somebody from the kitchen.

13. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Depends on what she looks like [​IMG]

14. kilokore

kilokore Active Member

15. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

When I lived in Atlanta, I used to grab takeout for about 5 or 6 friends form a certain place every couple of weeks. The bartender there would take my order and usually offer me a free beer while I sat at her bar and waited. This warrented a few bucks from me...

K

16. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Only on rare occasions and only to nice lady servers.