• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tipping etiquette in england

mistahlee

Reaction score
Beginning of September. My schedule dictates that plans be made far in advance. Fear not, kalra2411. I won't miss Cafe de Paris or The Fat Duck at Bray, for that matter.

kalra2411

Reaction score
ok
wink.gif

PoloPlayr

Reaction score
Pls see my views below:

Originally Posted by mistahlee
Gentlemen, I am going to London for pleasure. Â In the past, in England, I have erred with tipping etiquette. Â Would it be an imposition to ask for help with some particular questions?

1. Â On my hotel bill, if there is no service charge added, should I tip a percentage of the total? Â If so, how much?

Comments: ABSOLUTELY NOT

2. Â The hotel provides breakfast. Â Should I tip the servers daily, or wait until the end of my stay? Â What about drinks at the hotel bar? Â If I sign for them, should I add a gratuity then, or wait until the end?

Comment: If you liked the service then a perhaps add a few pounds when signing. If you don't need to sign at the end, then I wouldn't.

3. Â What about the doorman who hails a cab, the bellman who carries my bags and the porter who brings something to my room? Â Tip then, or wait?
Comments: A few pounds perhaps if service isn't included in the bill. Usually is.

4. Â I gather it is incorrect to tip the barman in a pub. Â Does that apply to food service as well? Â Is there an acceptable way to tip in a pub?
Comments: Usually service is included in the bill at restaurants. Will be stated on bill.

5. Â There will be a private car from and to the airport, for which I have paid the airline. Â How much to tip?
Comments: NO TIP. Most likely Addison Lee or similar car service. I've taken them literally hundreds of times and never ever tipped. They get paid through their prices.

In normal cabs, you might add a pound or so. But not more.

Those are the questions that occur to me. Â Any advice will be appreciated, and thank you very much.

My overall comment is that you can relax about this issue. It is definitely not as big an issue as it is in America. I genuinely don't feel people are providing you with service just for the tip here. This does come with something you might perceive as less customer service in some places.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads