• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tipping Etiquette: Am I just being cheap?

J Darnielle

Reaction score
The other night I placed a take-out order from a local Thai place. I am a creature of habit and my bill always comes to $13.81. I looked at my bank statement today, and the restaurant added a $4 tip to my debit card, which I didn't authorize.

Is this standard practice? I'm a generous tipper, but I would never tip someone for handing me my order.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is not standard practice.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
This is not standard practice.

+1. That's BS Heraldo!!!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never pay with a debit card.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
they prolly made a mistake. show them your receipt and ask them to fix it

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nonstandard or not they absolutely should not have put a tip for you. dispute w card co

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Is it standard practice for a restaurant to steal from you?

No.

However, it's very likely that someone else came along with a credit card order that HAD tipped $4 and when closing out the CC authorization on the micros they just mixed the two up.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its a bank hold. until the charge is reconciled, they sometimes add in an extra pre-authorization to cover if you did leave a tip.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just go into the restaurant and show them and tell them to take $4 off the next order. No need to get ur bank involved for $4. If you are a regular, then it should not be an issue!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had this happen to me at bars where I forgot to close it out the night before and they added some ridiculous tip. I called the CC company and they just waived the charge, but said it wasn't enough money to file a dispute. IOW, it came out of the CC company's pockets when I asked to dispute.

Which pissed me off, because the whole point was to rub it in the face of the assholes who overcharged me.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I've had this happen to me at bars where I forgot to close it out the night before and they added some ridiculous tip. I called the CC company and they just waived the charge, but said it wasn't enough money to file a dispute. IOW, it came out of the CC company's pockets when I asked to dispute.

Which pissed me off, because the whole point was to rub it in the face of the assholes who overcharged me.

I would imagine that the CC still logs the fact that it happened (since they are still out money). If they pass that on to the CC processor, eventually the bar is going to get ****. Enough complaints and they lose their ability to accept cards

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Did you take the 2nd "customer copy" receipt?

Even if you usually just throw them away (as I do), it's always best practice to take it with you anyways, just to avoid shenanigans like this. They are less likely to do it if they think someone is watching.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^This, plus write a big ass line through the tip column. Also, there is a nasty habit of writing in numbers at the end of your writing e.g. you put $20 only and some ****** writes in the . and 00 after that. Always close out the numbers with lines to the right side of the receipt.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
plus write a big ass line through the tip column. Also, there is a nasty habit of writing in numbers at the end of your writing e.g. you put $20 only and some ****** writes in the . and 00 after that. Always close out the numbers with lines to the right side of the receipt.
This. Draw a line through the tip area.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

However, it's very likely that someone else came along with a credit card order that HAD tipped $4 and when closing out the CC authorization on the micros they just mixed the two up.

Not true. It is more likely that a server try to pad his/her tip. I worked at a sit-down pizza place and it happens every so often.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads