• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tipping at a hair Salon

musiczone

Reaction score
I'm curious how much you gents(ladies) tip at a hair salon. I've looked it up on the internet but the range is pretty wide.

Reaction score
I pay $55 for my haircut, tip $25 to the hairstylist and $5 to the shampoo-er. Makes it easy to get appointments, ensures special attention to the cut and I've gotten free haircuts/clean-ups for last-minute emergency situations. They will bend over backwards to keep you coming, even arranging after hours appointments. Dig it.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
My stylist just raised my rate from $25 to $30 for the cut, so I increased my tip from $5 to $7.

I thought about tipping $10, but since she keeps most of the $30 anyways, because she has her own station at the shop, I decided against it.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My haircut is $30.00. I tip $10.00. The same woman has cut my hair for the last 5 years and is always willing to come in early or stay late to squeeze me in, plus she does a great job.

The shampoo girls I tip less consistently, usually because I can't find them when I am ready to leave. I'd say on average I tip them $5.00 every other time I am there.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
They will bend over backwards to keep you coming, even arranging after hours appointments. Dig it.

This sounds like it could be from the stripper thread. Even without the crude double-entrendre.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pay $25 for my haircut. I tip the lady that actually cuts my hair $5 and the girl that shampoos it $1.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My stylist charges 35 and I tip 10 to her and another 2 to the shampoo woman.

bob

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pay 15 for my haircut, plus 5 for tip. She also shampoos my hair, but I often decline because I usually was in a hurry. I hate getting back 1-2 dollars in change.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I pay $50 for the cut, and I tip $10 or $20. Usually it's $20, which is probably overtipping a bit, but the stylist is someone who has been cutting my hair for a long time and who I regard as a friend. I once asked her whether people customarily tip the shampoo-ers. (This was early on in our "relationship", when I had little experience with haircuts not done at Supercuts or a ramshackle barber shop.) She told me that she always shares her tips with them (much as a server may share tips with busboys). Given that, I don't separately tip them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads