Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Reynard369, Jul 6, 2011.

1. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

i love the alec guiness miniseries, but i disagree that there weren't flaws. the fact that all the foreign characters were played by british actors with terrible fake accents is one of them. this was more obnoxious in simley's people (also one of my favorites) but nonetheless.

i'm somewhat familiar with alfredson's work, and am not worried in the least. very much looking forward to it.

2. SD1

SD1 Senior member

Mark Strong makes any movie worth watching, even Downey's Sherlock Holmes. I had not heard of the original miniseries, but will now check it out. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

3. Anthony K

Anthony K Senior member

:nodding: He's definitely one of my favorites.

4. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Nearly through with the old BBC show now on Youtube. Great stuff. Seriously considering reading the book to better understand it.

5. freedom_fries

I saw the BBC miniseries for both TTSS and Smiley's People after reading the books, and remember thinking I wouldn't have appreciated it had I not read the books. They're very complex. BTW I'd recommend The Honourable Schoolboy and Smiley's People as well - both the book and the miniseries (for SP).

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I remember watching and thinking, "what just happened?" Watching it late at night in bed on youtube probably didn't help.

Just added the books to my Amazon shopping list.

7. deburn

deburn Senior member

Huge fan of Le Carre too and will be looking forward to the remake. I liked Cumberbatch in Sherlock Holmes and hoping the fact that there's a British contingent of actors will minimize the need to sensationalize the movie.

8. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

+1

Looking forward to the next installment of episodes. I loved Steven Moffat's work on Doctor Who but was initially skeptical about the update on the Holmes/Watson dynamic in the 21st century. Moffat doesn't disappoint and neither does Cumberbatch. Interested to see him in TTSS.

9. Anthony K

Anthony K Senior member

+1 To all of this. Cumberbatch has fast become a favorite of mine. I'm greatly anticipating the next series of Sherlock (watch the first series all of the time, he was just brilliant in the role).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

10. deburn

deburn Senior member

What did you guys think of the Downey/Law combination? I LOVED it!

burningbright, I'll have to check out Dr. Who

11. Anthony K

Anthony K Senior member

When it first was announced that they were making it and it was sort of a reinvention of the character I had my reservations (I've been a fan of Sherlock Holmes since I was a kid, so I can be a bit of a stickler when it comes to the character of Holmes). But I ended up seeing it in the theaters twice and loved it. I watched it the other day as a matter of fact. I can't wait for Game of Shadows this December.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

12. deburn

deburn Senior member

Yeah, I have a friend who's like you in that sense, and he refused to watch it because it was not going to be true to the original

13. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

Huge fan of the Downey/Law duo. Loved the first movie but had to get it on Blu-Ray and watch it with subtitles because whoever mixed the sound did a poor job of trying to capture Downey's accented mumbles.

As for Doctor Who, I'm almost jealous that you get to watch it from the beginning, having never seen it. Definitely start from season 1, but like most pilot episodes, you may struggle through it. Didn't really care for the pilot (a little too cheesy). You could tell they were still trying to establish the tone of the series, but by episode 4 or 5 the wife and I were hooked. The story arcs are brilliant, nicely woven and they always seem to be able to raise the stakes by the final episode. Both Eccleston and Tennant bring their own unique styles to the Doctor but I think Tennant steals the show. Smith, the new Doctor, is the youngest actor to portray him and he's not bad; but no Tennant.

Definitely give it a go.

14. Anthony K

Anthony K Senior member

My uncle is that way (he's the one that introduced me to Sherlock Holmes). He even refuses to watch the Jeff Bridges version of True Grit because it isn't John Wayne.

15. freedom_fries

hate!