• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time to move up in shoe quality advise please

BlackBond

Reaction score
I have started my shoe collection from way back in 6th form from clarks, patrick cox, jones, herring, barkers and now church's? I am looking for the next step up in my collection..what would be the next step?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moreschi
Ferragamo Lavorazione Originale
Paul Stuart
Church’s hand grade
New & Lingwood
Peal & Co
Grenson (Masterpiece)
Alfred Sargent (Exclusive)
Bontoni
Paul Smith English footwear
Ludwig Reiter
Alden
Canali or Zegna
Santoni
Crockett & Jones

LanceW

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure of where Barker Blacks sit but I believe you will be looking at RTW/MTO from Eward Green, Gaziano & Girling and John Lobb.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Probably just below Alden. I would put them with Cheaney, or Church maybe?

miurasv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LanceW
Both Allen Edmonds and Churchs machine cut their patterns.

So what does everyone else do? Is a machine cut pattern a bad thing?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Probably just below Alden. I would put them with Cheaney, or Church maybe?

In my opinion those English makers are above Allen Edmonds.

Kauai

Reaction score
I would suggest Edward Green and John Lobb.

From personal experience I have spent a huge amount of money over the last 6 months moving in small steps from Allen Edmunds level quality to EG and JL. In the process I have purchased a ton of intermediate shoes I am unlikely to wear and will probably sell at a loss. It took a while to get over the conceptual hurdle of buying $1K+ shoes, but it is possible to find them on sale or occasionally from unlikely buyers who bought the wrong size. I have also spent on a fair amount on shoes that don't quite fit so I would also suggest finding a store to try on shoes and make sure they fit rather than buying new models untested. Now if only I could get as motivated to post shoes I should sell as I do to buy new shoes
laugh.gif

miurasv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kauai
I would suggest Edward Green and John Lobb.

From personal experience I have spent a huge amount of money over the last 6 months moving in small steps from Allen Edmunds level quality to EG and JL. In the process I have purchased a ton of intermediate shoes I am unlikely to wear and will probably sell at a loss. It took a while to get over the conceptual hurdle of buying $1K+ shoes, but it is possible to find them on sale or occasionally from unlikely buyers who bought the wrong size. I have also spent on a fair amount on shoes that don't quite fit so I would also suggest finding a store to try on shoes and make sure they fit rather than buying new models untested. Now if only I could get as motivated to post shoes I should sell as I do to buy new shoes
laugh.gif

Are you a UK size 11 or 11.5 H (Very Wide) by any chance?
biggrin.gif

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Today I tried on an Allen Edmonds Strand and then a Alden Medallion Tip Oxfords (I think thats the name?) on the Aberdeen last. I was very impressed with the quite noticeable construction difference -- not to mention, the Alden actually just looked better. I've officially been swayed and plan to move away from AEs (at full retail) for my next purchases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads