1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

time to bury bicycle toe shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by knittieguy, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I don't think the point is to find exception but to explain hwy this rather odd style is so popular

Based on nothing, my guesses are:

1.) The market is cyclic, no pun intended - once everybody has a pair of nice-looking shoes, the manufacturers have to push bicycle toes. Once everybody has bicycle toes, they'll move on to something else;
    2.) Marketed towards younger people who think cap-toe shoes are old-fogey but have no idea what looks good;
    3.) Marketed towards older folk who already have cap-toe shoes and want to be hip;
    4.) They're "versatile", insofar as they don't look particularly good with dressy OR casual clothes, and therefore can perform double duty;
    5.) They're probably somehow cheaper to manufacture;
    6.) The one-piece vamp-and-toe probably creases up really quickly, the shoes are thrown out and replaced with another pair of bicycle toes - because people these days have no idea how long shoes are supposed to last and don't know they're being ripped off - and the market flourishes...

2. ruben

ruben Senior member

A chisel toe shoe is not a bicycle toe shoe. A bicycle toe shoe has the seams run straight down to the front of the sole. Some are chiseled, some are not. I can't actually tell from the photo of that suave guy above if it is a bicycle toe shoe. Here is a bicycle toe shoe

so what's an "apron toe" ?

3. iamaloser

iamaloser Senior member

I really like the bicycle toes on the last page, but they are much more understated than the super ubiquitous type that you see at Nordstroms. On the whole the perforated leather type of thing in place of seams always creeps me out. I don't know why.

4. epa

epa Senior member

5. epa

epa Senior member

By the way, I think that some of them look quite nice. I wouldn't wear them with a suit, though, but yes, I would not mind wearing some of them with an odd jacket, sans tie, for example.
    (Now, true, I am the kind of guy who doesn't mind wearing derbies with his suits, so you definitely shouldn't trust my sense of style and class).

6. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

Would you wear them peddling a bicycle?

7. knittieguy

knittieguy Senior member

so what's an "apron toe" ?
    I'm not sure what an "apron toe" shoe is, but I believe the apron is the part on a blucher or derby that covers the top part of the foot. The apron usually either leads to a split toe or non split toe front. http://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefro...y=3651&group=1 So an "apron toe" does sort of sound like it could be similar to a bicycle toe, but I've never heard that term.

8. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

I have two pair of the AE Hastings that I quite like.

9. knittieguy

knittieguy Senior member

Apron toe:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Black

That is indeed a derby with an apron like what I was referring to, but is it an "apron toe" shoe? The name "apron toe" sort of sounds like the apron would go all the way down to the end, but I have no idea.

10. Jorge Granda

Jorge Granda New Member

I just got a pair a bicycle square toe shoes for my birthday, my question is are they durable? Do they last a long time or do they fall apart after a year or six months?

11. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Okay, this needs to end.

I don't know what "bicycle toe" shoes are, and all of the shoes in this thread are ugly.

I do own two pairs of traditional split toe shoes, specifically, Paraboot Rousseau and Prevert. They are comfortable and and elegant choice for more casual ensembles.

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

why the fuck would anyone necro a 6 yr old thread.

13. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Return them immediately. Get nice shoes instead.

14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Without knowing the manufacturer, we have no way of knowing how long they will last. However, in the case of squared/bicycle-toed shoes, durability is a detriment. I agree with the other posters that you should return them.

15. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Well, the thread got necroed, so I may as well ask.

Do these qualify as bicycle-toe shoes?

[​IMG]

16. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Yup. And I honestly like them. Most of the shoes in this thread are ugly because they're cheap, and designed by makers appealing to idiots and trends among idiots. Those are something different. Those are fuck you shoes that the designer made to show that the bicycle toe could work. They're two tone walnut and green because, well, fuck you.

1 person likes this.
  17. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

^ Can't argue with that.