• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time sensitive formal wear

davide

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been frequenting these boards as a reference for a couple years now, and am just now posting as I am stuck on a question which repeated scouring of the Styleforum and Askandy archives has not quite put to rest for me.

After a groomsmen dropped out of a relative's wedding I was asked to be a member of the wedding party, a role which is just five weeks away. Given the time constraints is there enough time to have a custom dinner suit / tuxedo (the wedding is taking place in the evening) and formal shirt made? Given my circumstances, I have recently undergone two major surgeries and am currently about 20lbs under my normal weight would it be wise to get fitted clothing rather than rent?

I've had good experiences getting made to measure shirts (Ascot Chang) and suits (Hickey Freeman) but in both those cases the lead time was around 6 weeks.

tgt465

Reaction score
I would not count on getting what you want done in 5 weeks. Buying everything off the rack and getting adjustments by a good tailor would be faster, cheaper and probably yield better results than trying to rush a made-to-measure job.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davide
Hi, I've been frequenting these boards as a reference for a couple years now, and am just now posting as I am stuck on a question which repeated scouring of the Styleforum and Askandy archives has not quite put to rest for me. After a groomsmen dropped out of a relative's wedding I was asked to be a member of the wedding party, a role which is just five weeks away. Given the time constraints is there enough time to have a custom dinner suit / tuxedo (the wedding is taking place in the evening) and formal shirt made? Given my circumstances, I have recently undergone two major surgeries and am currently about 20lbs under my normal weight would it be wise to get fitted clothing rather than rent? I've had good experiences getting made to measure shirts (Ascot Chang) and suits (Hickey Freeman) but in both those cases the lead time was around 6 weeks.
Yes, I'd say five weeks would definitely be pushing it, unless you are up for a trip to Hong Kong. Maybe some place can give you priority under the circumstances. But why not just go RTW and have it tailored? You will still get excellent results and it will be far cheaper. You can also address your weight issue. It seems kind of pointless to splash out on an MTM DJ that you know will not fit you in two months. I would get something RTW with an eye to having it let out when you regain the weight. That way you can be sure that there will be enough cloth. Obviously, buying a slightly too-large DJ and having it taken in won't look as good as having MTM or even the (currently) correct RTW size. But given that it is "only" 20 pounds, it will still look quite decent -- and the alternative is having a DJ that won't fit you at all two months from now.

davide

Reaction score
Thanks tgt and Bounder, do you have any recommendations for off-the-rack formal attire in the sub-1000 range?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davide
Thanks tgt and Bounder, do you have any recommendations for off-the-rack formal attire in the sub-1000 range?
This is not really too difficult. Have a look at the Brooks Brothers website. You can get a tuxedo from Brooks Brothers in this price range. If you sign up for Borders Rewards, you can get a 15% discount from Brooks Brothers as well. I am kind of disappointed that Brooks Brothers offers them, but I would stay away from things like tuxedos with notched lapels and two or three button jackets. I don't know how much you know about classic formal wear so I will also provide link to an excellent resource, www.blacktieguide.com Good Luck!

davide

Reaction score
Hi Bounder, Thanks for the link. I have spend some time reading through that site actually. I found its description of the original stlye cumberband very interesting. I wonder if anyone still makes them with folds: http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic...ents/Waist.htm. I had been thinking of going with a standard peaked lapel, single button variety, although that DB Zegna suit you linked to, acecow, looks good.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

davide

Reaction score
I may be missing the finer details, but that looks very different from the one used to illustrate the older style on Black Tie Guide. The linked waist covering appears to be modern kind with pleats and an adjustable fastener. I meant the pre-1920s almost-sarong style: http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic..._blog_crop.jpg Upon examining the file name for that image (used to illustrate the blurb about old waist coverings on Black Tie Guide) and doing some searching it appears that the picture came from this post: http://lablondecestmoi.blogspot.com/...rap-belts.html. It's not a pre-1920s cumberbund but a "double wrap waist sash" for women by Suzi Roher. So maybe the difference wasn't a finer detail after all, but a rather large one.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heh. I thought you were looking for one with a ticket pocket. I wouldn't worry too much about how it fastens as no one will ever see that since you would never take your jacket off.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's your build? You said you lost 20 lbs, so are you very slim now, or regular, or? I sell a slim fit tuxedo shirt that is the definitive style with marcella front and turn-down collar.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka