• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Time Has No Mercy' Photo Project

Bellum

Reaction score
People get old? Very insightful 'project'.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bellum

I bet you're a riot at dinner parties.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's really cool. It's strange to see something that happens so gradually presented in such a compact manner.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Really?? That's all you got out of that?

Mkay.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at the girl all the way on the right in 1977 and 2008.

I think the project is profound - sobering and a lesson in the preciousness of the current moment in your life... not to mention the importance of moisturizing.

Bellum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Really?? That's all you got out of that?

Mkay.

No.

They aged very badly for the most part. Probably from being gingers. Not using sunblock, not taking care of themselves. At least 2 out of 3 sisters appear to be lesbians.

But if I need to be reminded of the obvious and trite fact that life is ephemeral, I can look in the mirror or at photos of myself from 30 years ago, you know?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These women are probably contemporaries of mine. This is an amazing series of photos illustrating something most of us don't every fully grasp: our own gradual but continuing aging.

When I think of myself, it is as a young man, full of hope, promise and the future; not as a late middle-aged man, who's skin is wrinkling and sagging. Even when I look at myself in the mirror I don't recognize what age has wrought. I am going to dig out old photos of myself and see the changes.

Thanks for the link, willpower.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
These women are probably contemporaries of mine. This is an amazing series of photos illustrating something most of us don't every fully grasp: our own gradual but continuing aging. When I think of myself, it is as a young man, full of hope, promise and the future; not as a late middle-aged man, who's skin is wrinkling and sagging. Even when I look at myself in the mirror I don't recognize what age has wrought. I am going to dig out old photos of myself and see the changes. Thanks for the link, willpower.
My ex-wife's father did something similar to this. He started doing annual Christmas card portraits of his children beginning in 1967 (when my ex-wife was born) right through a couple of years ago (before his death). I was in them beginning in 1990 and then my kids beginning in the years they were born. Several years ago he was able to locate all the old negatives and put together a collection like this (though not nearly so intimate as these portraits) that he displayed on the wall in their TV room. It was fascinating to look at.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yes, cool link, willpower.

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
These women are probably contemporaries of mine. This is an amazing series of photos illustrating something most of us don't every fully grasp: our own gradual but continuing aging.

When I think of myself, it is as a young man, full of hope, promise and the future; not as a late middle-aged man, who's skin is wrinkling and sagging. Even when I look at myself in the mirror I don't recognize what age has wrought. I am going to dig out old photos of myself and see the changes.

Thanks for the link, willpower.

When I have enough to drink I still feel the angst and power of youth. Then I wake up and I'm a middle aged desk jockey again. I'm not saying life isn't pretty excellent for me now but you certainly live at a more primal level when young...at least I did.

Btw, would have hit Mimi until she had the baby in 1991 and then went lesbian several years later. Sorry, this is SF, had to be said.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The second one from the left ages very gracefully

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weird. I just saw this exhibition at San Francisco Moma. I went in to see a wine thing and an exhibition of voyeuristic photography and then I found myself in front of this exhibition which took up an entire wall. There is no year label so you have to figure out which way is chornologically correct. After looking at them you'll see that the pics go left to right in three rows so you had to walk down the wall and then back twice to see them all in order. I thought it was cool.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's nicely insightful for us young'ins who can't even contemplate the idea of being "old". Sometimes you just look at people; students, teachers, parents, you wonder what they looked like years ago when they were in your shoes or what you'll be like in a few years in their shoes. Seeing the change of years over the span of a few photographs is actually pretty insightful for me (especially considering how quickly some of them seemed to age earlier on
laugh.gif
).

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've often wondered about being old.... I simply lack the capacity to picture it. I mean, not physically, but the emotional/mental aspects of it. Me, being on the other side of 50? Me, being 80, with my brothers all in their 70s? Ridiculous......

Also, the thought of how much the world will change in that time. I doubt it will see the same massive change that happened from 50 years ago to now, but still.... it will be weird....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads