• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Timberland Boots for winter.. stylish + functional??

replicat0r

Reaction score
Hey all!!

i have read alot of the thread about winter boots with the search function on the forum. Seems like alot of ppl like LL bean and red wing or alden..

I saw some recommandation about timberland but seems like people think its not worth the price..

I kinda like this

http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11689018&c=1004253

But i think the white sole will be black in less then a couple of days...

my other choice may be

http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4207926

or

http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10847315

Honestly i have have no idea what i am doing.. I know some basics about shoes n such but not enuf to make an informed decision about buying a pair of good winterboots that will last me atleast 2 winters with good care here in canada.

please help!!

i am looking for styles like those.. in black or brown under 200... not brand pref.. thank!

NormanF

Reaction score
A high quality pair of winter boots will be at least $200. My Meindl Gastein - which is lambskin-lined cost more and are worth every penny. You can't put a price tag on warm feet.

clark kent

Reaction score
ehh youre right about some people here not liking timberlands, but i've heard a lot of good things about the earthkeeper 2.0s and honestly they look like a good boot. silhouette and style-wise at least. im not too sure how they will hold up.

Last edited:

Hedges

Reaction score
I own a pair of those earthkeepers last winter and one of my most comfortable shoes and warmest for the cold seasons. I'm pretty picky with my feet since i need very good cushioning (flat foot and arch support) and so far the only two that's worked well has been Rockport and Timberland.

replicat0r

Reaction score
ok.. what if i expand my expense to under 300 then... what bout the style of those boots by timberland? are they ugly? should i stick with something that looks similar to that

what other option do i have?

BillKillgore

Reaction score
You kinda have to decide for yourself what you consider ugly, there isn't like a general consensus that dictates what looks good and what doesn't. You could also just check the abington and timberland boot company series, they both offer a slightly more contemporary selection. For their price (maybe not the retail one from their online store) timberlands are decent, at least mine last 4 years now without any problems. It also depends on if you're looking for some everyday boot for the cold days or if you want to do some more extreme stuff.

For under 300$ you might as well just get some red wings, wolverines or trickers (on ebay, with some luck).

Last edited:

NormanF

Reaction score
The Red Wing Gentleman Traveler is made in the USA. At the $200-300 price point you can go beyond China made offerings to shoes made in the USA, Europe and Israel. You pay for what you get and at the higher price point, good footwear is a lifetime investment and yes they should be resoleable.

replicat0r

Reaction score
the thing is i have not reached a point in my life where i want to buy things for a lifetime... i understand i should buy timeless fashion item and no so headfirst eagle following fashion trends. I mean, a pair of shoes that can last 3 to 4 yeas are quite phenomonal for me. My shoes now gets broken down every 7 months... so a couple of years is good enuf for me . I have heard that red wing isnt suited for harsh winters like what we have here... we have TONs of salt, slush, its wet and cold.. so i am not sure if its a good idea to get a really nice pair of leather shoes that will get obliterated...

NormanF

Reaction score
A good quality pair of boots will hold up even under the harshest conditions and still look like new.

My Bestard Matrix Evolution hiking boots I bought for $250 from Barrabes in Spain look almost as good as the day I bought then. Gore-Tex, Perchwanger premium leather, Vibram New Ice soles. Its different from the typical German-Italian brands that dominate the high end hiking boot market.

My point is that good quality footwear carries with it a certain expectation. When you have the same boots for 30+ years, you know its a good buy. Cheap footwear offers poor returns and you're basically throwing out money when you buy them.

Last edited:

replicat0r

Reaction score
i see what your mean. but for red wing. there is only 2 kind, one is the workboot, i looked through it.. i dont think i need it for the winter.. i dont need electric proof.. or steel toe. I goto school lol. So the other one is the heritage one, so i'd assume its more stylish for the normal life use. etc

what do you think of this

00877_trans_IS

or this ??

00214_trans_IS

Last edited:

NormanF

Reaction score
I like the second.

You don't need a steel toe cap unless you plan to be engaged in heavy duty construction work. A lighter boot which is less expensive would be in my opinion, more versatile.

HAL 9000

Reaction score
Like the others have said, if you're willing to shell 300 on a pair of boots, then just opt for a pair of red wings. Even if your winters are harsh, these boots are made to last through them and they are supposed to age rugged.

replicat0r

Reaction score
i'd the assume that if the sole on the white one are worn out. I cant repair or resole it. So i guess i will get the 214. Here in canada they are very hard to come by in my size(13) So i am more inclined to get timberland... since its bout 100 bucks cheaper and easier to find on size and try on

EMY

Reaction score
I just bought the LL Bean Katahdin waterproof boots. I was inspired by the Katahdin engineer boots which I really like (and there's a huge thread on here), but I just don't think those will cut it.

They seem to be well constructed and the quality of the leather is good. The tongue is gusset up to the 4th eyelet so its waterproof up to about 4-5 inches of water. The thread is pretty aggressive so it should work well in snow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads