• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Timberland boat shoes

pedrowheels

Reaction score
Hi all, what's your opinion of the timberland range and quality. I need some help, my limit is £80

striker

Reaction score
In termd of quality, i would put timberland one above sperry but both will do fine. My timberland from years ago still going strong and the craftsmanship is way better. The handsewn work (Domanican Repulic) is excellent on my pair and the leather is really good. My China made sperry's are abit thinner and more adhesive is used than sewing.

pedrowheels

Reaction score
I think I'll go with the timberlands thank you for the responses

Basil Ecurie

Reaction score
I wear the Timberland 30003 boat shoes. A good versatile shoe for all occasions. Have started wearing them from 1989 and had many pairs in the past. My recent pair is three years old and wear them everyday all day. Nice thick leather with a very aggressive honey rubber sole.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've preferred Timberland over Sperry for more than 30 years now. Topsiders are the canonical boat shoe, it's true, but Timberlands have a very slight edge for me. I prefer the leather in a Timberland and I like the way they age compared to Sperry.

CSG123

Reaction score
I wear the Timberland 30003 boat shoes. A good versatile shoe for all occasions. Have started wearing them from 1989 and had many pairs in the past. My recent pair is three years old and wear them everyday all day. Nice thick leather with a very aggressive honey rubber sole.

Those may be the most bizarre looking boat shoes I've ever seen. FWIW, I own Sperrys and Timberlands and like both.

Basil Ecurie

Reaction score
I agree with you Andy. These Timberland 30003 boat shoes being a heavy duty type take about a year of everyday wear to start taking the profile of your foot. They get softer the more you wear them. After three years of everyday wear these shoes are now very soft and the leather has taken the profile of the foot. You got to wear these shoes a lot to get the benefit of this style of boat shoe, otherwise leave them.

Last edited:

Basil Ecurie

Reaction score
I agree with you CSG123. You either like them or you don't. A lot of people don't like them, because they say they look aggressive, appearance looks heavy duty, the shoes look like they have teeth and the rubber soles tend to squeak when walking on polished floors (they squeak people can hear you coming mostly when the shoes are new, never been a problem for me). These Timberland 30003 boat shoes were highly recommended for wearing at college in the 1980s. They were ideal for me as the college I went to, the building had very highly polished floors. The very aggressive honey rubber soles of these shoes gave good traction on these floors. I just kept buying them over the years. They are now highly recommended in China for wearing at the office. They are getting very popular in China. They are very versatile shoes.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads