• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
41in2aimdlss5001ee2538as2.jpg

Has anybody read it yet? Leafed through it? What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Tim-Gunn-Guide.../dp/0810992841

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't read it yet, but he doesn't show any shirt on his sleeves, wears terrible shoes on tv and likes wool/poly blend suits for travel.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd rather take my advice from a Dandy. As I understand it, Dandy's are NOT gay. So...

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxnharry
I haven't read it yet, but he doesn't show any shirt on his sleeves, wears terrible shoes on tv and likes wool/poly blend suits for travel.

He also fastens the bottom buttons on his suits.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't perused it, but at the risk of sounding closed minded, I'll pass on this book. At the risk of sounding closed minded and offensive, this Gunn character and that Carson cheesehead have to be the two dead last people on earth, from whom I would willingly accept style advice.

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the book intended for ladies and not dudes?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ritchee
Isn't the book intended for ladies and not dudes?
I thought that too. But even then, Gunn surely knows less about female style than a Vreeland or a Wintour.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I like Tim Gunn. I think his fashion advice is geared towards women. I don't think his suits fit him particularly well, but whatevs. He makes Project Runway entertaining, and he looks like a nice guy. No need to bash him.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Well I like Tim Gunn. I think his fashion advice is geared towards women. I don't think his suits fit him particularly well, but whatevs. He makes Project Runway entertaining, and he looks like a nice guy. No need to bash him.

I like him, I am just surprised that someone in the style business doesnt dress better.

dagenham

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxnharry
I like him, I am just surprised that someone in the style business doesnt dress better.

+1. his suits are about a size, maybe two sizes too big. he fastens the bottom button on his jackets. some of the worst tie knots i've seen. and +1 on the bad shoes.

i agree he makes project runway a bit funny, but it's getting real old, real fast.

Liberty Ship

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dagenham
+1. his suits are about a size, maybe two sizes too big. he fastens the bottom button on his jackets. some of the worst tie knots i've seen. and +1 on the bad shoes.

i agree he makes project runway a bit funny, but it's getting real old, real fast.

But as long as he continues to bash Capri pants and flip-flops on women, he is my hero.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too digress too much, but does anyone think Clinton on What Not to Wear dresses pretty sharply? Obviously not for the business environment, but I'm always digging the fit of his clothes and the colors. There was a short blurb on him in some Details and Esquire where he mentioned he purchased shirts and suits MTM or Bespoke.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He doesn't appear to have much style. Black suits white shirts and solid ties doesn't take much to wear that.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
He also fastens the bottom buttons on his suits.

Damn, you beat me to it! I have seen those photos as well...the man is a hack.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads