1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tightening cuffs

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Goblin, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

Is it feasible for a tailor to "tighten" the cuffs on dress shirts so they fit closer to the wrist, or would I be better off buying new dress shirts with tighter cuffs? This is related to my recent tattooing spree ... I'm a bit distressed by how baggy the cuffs of my dress shirts are, and how high they ride up if I'm not paying attention. I think I'm doomed to wear small Ace bandages on my wrists and lower forearms in perpetuity, but tighter cuffs would certainly help minimize the chances of a slip-up.

I'm sitting here playing with my cuffs, and it seems like there ought to be some way to make them fit more snugly to my wrists, but I really have no idea. [​IMG]

Thanks as always!

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Depending on how much tighter you need them, you can move the cuff button over a touch. You are kind of limited as to how much you can actually do this before it ruins the cuff.

3. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I move the buttons on all my RTW shirts, it's very simple.

4. j

j Senior member Admin

If we're talking about button cuffs, you can move the main button about 1/2" or so before the gauntlet starts getting out of shape (it will gap open, thus defeating your purpose). However, you can also move that small gauntlet button a little bit as well to keep things in line. This will buy you a little more room.

If that's not enough, a competent tailor/shirtmaker can remove the cuff, take apart the gauntlet portion and recut the wrists considerably smaller. Your cuffs will overlap more than usual.

If French cuffs, the only option is for tighter cufflinks.