• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tight Fitting Way Too Small Shirts

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Im new to this forum just signed on today.

I was in a Prada outlet the other day trying to figure out if I actually liked a couple of the dress shirts on sale for $135. Upon deciding to leave empty handed, I spotted a guy trying to squeeze himself into a shirt I just put down. The funny thing is he was slightly taller and broader than me and the shirt I put down was a very slim 17/43. I did not even bother trying on that shirt knowing full well it was probably 2 sizes too small for me. But this guy decided to try it on and he could not even get the buttons in the holes - it was that small

What shocked me most was the fellow bought it! He must have gone to the outlet and thought get a Prada at all costs no matter what. Anyway, I heard the attendant recommending he not purchase that shirt, but he insisted he would get it tailored to make it bigger! I did not think it was possible to tailor a shirt up a size or two.

This is my question: Can a dress shirt be tailored to make it bigger? I have a D&G shirt that is one of my personal favourites, but since putting on a few pounds it is too tight to be comfortable. I would have to sell it or donate to Goodwill/thrift stores otherwise.

The question of losing weight is a no no, all my other shirts purchased the last 2 years are one size up on that D&G shirt. I paid maybe $230 for it at the time, but now Im thinking lose it or use it.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
This is my question: Can a dress shirt be tailored to make it bigger? I have a D&G shirt that is one of my personal favourites, but since putting on a few pounds it is too tight to be comfortable. I would have to sell it or donate to Goodwill/thrift stores otherwise.
No, unless darts were added earlier and the fabric was left, which is highly unlikely. That guy who bought that shirt is an idiot.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Losing weight would be healthy for you. You should do that, regardless of the new shirts.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did have a hunch that shirts cannot be sized up. That guy must have been an idiot or trying to make a buck or two selling outlet stuff on eBay (although at $135, I cannot see a seller making any profit on eBay).

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you all live in some magical fairy land where cloth can be magically made to appear?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Do you all live in some magical fairy land where cloth can be magically made to appear?

That is what I was thinking - to make a shirt bigger you need extra material, and preferably the same material. But, not being a tailor, I do not know what is possible or not. It could be that a tailor do it but the shirt ends up looking bizarre. I dont know though.

Solution is: ditch the shirt or ditch the gym and thus the weight. Seems like ditch the shirt

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people use too small clothes to force themselves to drop weight.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 74 16.8%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 144 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 74 16.8%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 36 8.2%