• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tiger Woods

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any better closer in all of sports than Tiger Woods? It's like watching a movie where you know the ending but watch anyways. I can't imagine what poor Sean O'Hair was feeling.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did the announcers blow him after the trophy presentation.....jesus they were ******* annoying.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just wonder what it would feel like being paired with Tiger Woods on the last round of a 72 hole tourney.

-Jeff

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
i just wonder what it would feel like being paired with Tiger Woods on the last round of a 72 hole tourney.

-Jeff

Like golfing with Hannibal Lecter crossed with the Terminator. Tiger has some serious sports psychology/psycho mojo.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love Tiger Woods. How any sports fan can not be rooting for him is beyond me. I am pulling for him to break the Majors record - that's all that really matters right now. Then we can all say we had the privilege of watching the greatest ever.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great line by Trevino on pressure putt:

someone said, "man, a 4 foot putt for $100,000, that must be scary. -Trevino said, "no, scary is a 4 foot putt for $400, when you only have 20 in your pocket." -something like that.

But, i've never seen anyone in sports -come through in the clutch as often as this guy. And if you by chance caught his match play round at his last Amateur, one of the best comebacks, I've ever seen!!

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I love Tiger Woods. How any sports fan can not be rooting for him is beyond me. I am pulling for him to break the Majors record - that's all that really matters right now. Then we can all say we had the privilege of watching the greatest ever.

I root against him.

I find him cocky, cold, robotic, and almost unsportsmanlike. I think it's a necessary part of his success - he refuses to believe that anyone else might be even in his league. He refuses to think that anyone besides him has any control over what might happen in the tournament. He is intentionally cold on the course, cold because he knows it intimidates. You'll note he's pals only with sucky golfers, like Mark O'Meara. Anyone who dares to come within a mile of his dominance gets the cold shoulder. Even on days when he shoots 3 strokes better than the field, he says stuff like "I was grinding out there, just didn't feel like I was hitting the ball very well." He does nothing but staredowns for 18 holes, but when he sinks that winning putt, he gloats all the way across the green, screaming and fist pumping. I just find it sort of off-putting, I guess.

Don't get me wrong - I respect the hell out of the guy. His drive to succeed, his dedication, his hard work - all extremely, extremely admirable. He deserves everything he's got, and more. But all that dedication makes him almost untouchable as a human being. I just don't get any kind of empathy with him. It makes him hard to get behind as a fan, I guess, for me.

I'd like to see someone step up and really challenge him, and maybe take something he really wants. I think if I saw him struggle, saw him down, I'd feel more empathy. Perhaps that's why I root against him - so that I can root for him.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I don't know about that, man. When I began watching him a few years ago, I did not think much of him either. But watching him through the years how he trained and how mentally tough he was, I quickly changed my mind. To me, he is true essence of what hard work and dedication can do for an athlete. Your right, he might have a cocky presence, but that's just his mentality that he knows he can beat everyone, which he does very often. This is why I usually root for him.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I root against him.

I find him cocky, cold, robotic, and almost unsportsmanlike. I think it's a necessary part of his success - he refuses to believe that anyone else might be even in his league. He refuses to think that anyone besides him has any control over what might happen in the tournament. He is intentionally cold on the course, cold because he knows it intimidates. You'll note he's pals only with sucky golfers, like Mark O'Meara. Anyone who dares to come within a mile of his dominance gets the cold shoulder. Even on days when he shoots 3 strokes better than the field, he says stuff like "I was grinding out there, just didn't feel like I was hitting the ball very well." He does nothing but staredowns for 18 holes, but when he sinks that winning putt, he gloats all the way across the green, screaming and fist pumping. I just find it sort of off-putting, I guess.

Don't get me wrong - I respect the hell out of the guy. His drive to succeed, his dedication, his hard work - all extremely, extremely admirable. He deserves everything he's got, and more. But all that dedication makes him almost untouchable as a human being. I just don't get any kind of empathy with him. It makes him hard to get behind as a fan, I guess, for me.

I'd like to see someone step up and really challenge him, and maybe take something he really wants. I think if I saw him struggle, saw him down, I'd feel more empathy. Perhaps that's why I root against him - so that I can root for him.

uh..okay.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
^ I don't know about that, man. When I began watching him a few years ago, I did not think much of him either. But watching him through the years how he trained and how mentally tough he was, I quickly changed my mind. To me, he is true essence of what hard work and dedication can do for an athlete. Your right, he might have a cocky presence, but that's just his mentality that he knows he can beat everyone, which he does very often. This is why I usually root for him.
+1 He's the epitome of dedication, practice and hardwork....how can one hate on that?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
+1
He's the epitome of dedication, practice and hardwork....how can one hate on that?

There's a union joke in here somewhere.
devil.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I root against him.

Umm... he has certainly struggled by his standards. In some tournaments he failed to make the cut, played embarassingly, and was far below his standard. I don't know if you recall, but the "sucky" Mark O'Meara has kind of won a few big tournaments.

Tiger has always been a gracious loser and keeps a pretty cool head. First you say he's cold, then when he celebrates (and single handedly makes golf more exciting more most people), you *****. What exactly do you want out of him?

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads