1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tiger: Overrated?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Quirk, Aug 7, 2006.

1. mr_economy

mr_economy Senior member

my friend of my father played golf in what I guess were bespoke T&A shortsleeve dress shirts... he didn't sweat much. I guess he was one of the more stylish golfers out there.

It really depends on the climate. I played in Kansas Junior Golf Association events all throughout my youth, and with the heat index usually somewhere between 110 and 115 degrees, wondering if you were stylishly dressed was the very least of your concerns.

I can certainly see paying more attention to dress for a formal golf outing with a boss or client, but when performance is your sole concern, it need have no place.

2. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

This really has nothing to do with that overrated hack [​IMG] , but I thought it was pretty amazing:

3. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Surprised that Tiger's attire is coming under attack when Nike obviously pays him tons of money to wear that crap. Anyone here would do the same. As for feeling bad for the other guys that can't compete with Tiger when he is on; those guys (Els, Love, Mickelson, et al) are making at least double the money that they would be making if Tiger was not around.

4. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

WOW - what a great finish!!!

So now he's won 4 in a row, 52 events overall and gone to 10-1 in playoffs.

Clearly overrated [​IMG]

5. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

Surprised that Tiger's attire is coming under attack when Nike obviously pays him tons of money to wear that crap. Anyone here would do the same. As for feeling bad for the other guys that can't compete with Tiger when he is on; those guys (Els, Love, Mickelson, et al) are making at least double the money that they would be making if Tiger was not around.

you're right, Tiger totally put golf on the map. He's a lot of the reason why the matchplay championships in South Africa had the first 1million dollar prize, and started that trend. Since Tiger became big, the size of annual earnings of the top 20 has like, quadroupled. Now, finishing in the top 20 makes you a ton of cash.

6. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Surprised that Tiger's attire is coming under attack when Nike obviously pays him tons of money to wear that crap.

[OT] But wouldn't Nike would let him design anything he'd want? They're really just interested in a logo backdrop, aren't they? Or are they selling the clothes themselves?

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Tiger wore red for his first Masters while he was under contract with Titleist. His style hasn't changed that much since turning pro so Nike is letting Tiger dictate the look. I think Tiger also had a hand in designing the clubs he plays as well.

I recall the commercial where Tiger tells the camera that his contract stipulates that if Tiger doesn't like the equipment, he doesn't have to play it. That's one contract I would like to see.

8. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

Tiger wore red for his first Masters while he was under contract with Titleist. His style hasn't changed that much since turning pro so Nike is letting Tiger dictate the look. I think Tiger also had a hand in designing the clubs he plays as well.

I recall the commercial where Tiger tells the camera that his contract stipulates that if Tiger doesn't like the equipment, he doesn't have to play it. That's one contract I would like to see.

A hand? He had every say possible. Do people really think that when you buy a set of irons, it's exactly what the pros use? No, their clubs are custom made by the company. What you buy in stores is the equipment equivalent of RTW.

9. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Do the guys with big contracts wear fresh stuff (shirt, pants, shoes) each time out, like other pro athletes? What what you imagine Tiger does with all the used TW logo stuff -- autographs it all and donates it to charity?

10. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

Do the guys with big contracts wear fresh stuff (shirt, pants, shoes) each time out, like other pro athletes? What what you imagine Tiger does with all the used TW logo stuff -- autographs it all and donates it to charity?

A lot of them probably do. Michael Jordon supposedly wore his Tar heels shorts as underwear for his entire career. I don't see them wearing those shoes longer than a couple rounds, they probably start the pair on monday so they're comfortable by the time tournament play starts.

11. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Anyone still think he's overrated?

12. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Anyone still think he's overrated?

WOW!

13. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

what was up with the TV coverage for the Deutsche? ABC's coverage didn't start until Woods/Singh's 8th hole at which point Tiger had already done is 2 birdies, 2 eagles damage. or was there cable coverage of those first few holes that i completely missed?

oh yeah, Tiger Woods is amazing.

-Jeff

14. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Excellent interview with Tiger on 60 Minutes last sun.
    I admire him even more that he does not hide from his emotions and the impact of his father's death. He obviously seems to have found his form lately. He is genuinely inspiring on alot of levels.

15. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Excellent interview with Tiger on 60 Minutes last sun.
    I admire him even more that he does not hide from his emotions and the impact of his father's death. He obviously seems to have found his form lately. He is genuinely inspiring on alot of levels.

If anything, the death of his father has made him even MORE focused--a scary thought for the rest of the PGA.

koji

16. dizzhizz

dizzhizz Senior member

Tiger is a badass. Period.