• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ties

rlevine

Reaction score
(ernest @ Feb. 20 2005,14:59) I you were intelligent, you would understand that you can not speak for 3 billions of people.
Not that I want into the middle of this, but ... China's population is not 3 billion, not even close. Â Count every person of Chinese ancenstry living outside China, and it still doesn't add up to even half that.
Actually, it could very well add up to over 1.5 billion. China itself has 1.3 billion people (est.), very few of whom are foreigners, and if you add up all Chinese living abroad, it's likely to top the number. This is even if you don't count the fact that Vietnamese, Thais, Indonesians, etc., are all ethnically Chinese. (I'm half Chinese; we could be included too.)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
200 million overseas Chinese? Really? Where are they all? Serious question.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ Feb. 20 2005,14:59) I you were intelligent, you would understand that you can not speak for 3 billions of people.
Not that I want into the middle of this, but ... China's population is not 3 billion, not even close. Â Count every person of Chinese ancenstry living outside China, and it still doesn't add up to even half that.
Read better his message, he was talking for ALL ASIANS

rlevine

Reaction score
200 million overseas Chinese?  Really?  Where are they all?  Serious question.
I really should have an answer for this question, but now that I think about it, trying to think of overseas Chinese who are not Thai etc, and not mixed, it is difficult. So perhaps I was wrong.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think it gets to 200 million. In the US, which has a lot of people of Chinese ancestry plus a lot of recent immigrants, the number is still only a few million. Singapore is majority Chinese, ethnically, but the total population is only about 6 million. And there are big ethnic Chinese populations in Malaysia and Indonesia (and, to a smaller extent, in Vietnam and Thailand) but I don't think the numbers would ever get close to 200 million. Not even 100 million. Probably not even 50 million.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Read better his message, he was talking for ALL ASIANS
You appear to be correct. If that includes South Asia, then the figure does indeed reach 3 billion people. My apologies.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernest,

To answer your question, I like the style/design of my Pink tie as much as any other tie I own. Unfortunately, the quality of the silk and the construction leave a little bit to be desired. It looks great, and since ties are, in my opinion, pretty much decoration only, I think they serve a nice role in tie society.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernest,

To answer your question, I like the style/design of my Pink tie as much as any other tie I own.  Unfortunately, the quality of the silk and the construction leave a little bit to be desired.  It looks great, and since ties are, in my opinion, pretty much decoration only, I think they serve a nice role in tie society.
I was talking about value for money.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Manton @ Feb. 20 2005,14:36) If that includes South Asia, then the figure does indeed reach 3 billion people. Â My apologies.
Imagine all the different brands of ties they must wear...
biggrin.gif
I guess that 99.9% of them have never worn a tie.

FCS

Reaction score
This is even if you don't count the fact that Vietnamese, Thais, Indonesians, etc., are all ethnically Chinese.
Those people are not Chinese. Vietnam and Thailand do have significant Chinese influence in their culture but the populations are definitely not Chinese. Indonesians, the bigger part of the population anyways, are people of Malay stocks by culture and by genetics.

Southeast Asia is home to the largest Chinese population outside 'Greater' China but the number would run in the tens of millions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads