• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ties without top button undone

Dolle Dolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
As long as your shirt collar fits properly, you shouldn't have to.
True. in my pre-aaac and sf days when i thought that arrow and the like were good quality shirt i never could close my top button. Large neck, 18 inch, but torso for a 17-17.5 shirt. Jantzen is my new best friend. So nice to have a collar that i can actually close.

I do like to wear a tie with a loose top button though. When done properly it looks 'nonchalant' in a good way. But it is difficult to pull off and most of the time you do end up looking like a slob. Like with long hair, a beard, etc.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glowell222
I always wear my ties without the top button undone.

+1.

Regards.
PS. Was wondering how long before people noticed the title....

nohomo

Reaction score
With the top unbunttoned, I think you should have an asymmetrical knot as well rather than a windsor knot. A symmtric knot w/ an unbuttoned top just looks weird to me, like you forgot to button rather than just presenting a less formal look.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys also leave your fly open?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may think that you can get away with it but unless you are the Chairman it reveals you as a slovenly oaf. Chairmen by definition are above such judgement.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is teh homosex.

brianst62

Reaction score
I would say more towards the end of the work day than at the beginning...that's what I do as do most of my colleagues.

Tropicalist

Reaction score

Is it possible to wear a tie with the top button of shirt undone and get away with it in an office setting?

Get your tailor to lower the neckband when you get your shirts made and make sure through can comfortably insert one finger between collar and neck. Most collar bands are too high and collar too tight. There should be no difference in comfort between an open top button and tie or a
closed top button and tie.

Simon at Elite

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
There should be no difference in comfort between an open top button and tie or a closed top button and tie.
Agree 100%

If your collar is too tight when to button is fastened then the simple answer is your shirt is the wrong size. I'm amazed how many people fail to realise this very simple concept.

Over half the shirts I see people wear don't fit them properly. I was once in a fairly high level business meeting and one of the participant's shirts had the shoulder seams of his shirt sitting at least two inches down his arm. Seeing this guy had obviously looked in the mirror this morning and decided that the shirt was presentable enough to wear to an important business meeting I had difficultly in taking anything he had to say about anything seriously.

When you can have a custom made shirt made and delivered for under $50 and a decent quality one for under $100 I see no excuse for wearing an ill fitting shirt.

wumingde

Reaction score

Agree 100%

If your collar is too tight when to button is fastened then the simple answer is your shirt is the wrong size. I'm amazed how many people fail to realise this very simple concept.

Over half the shirts I see people wear don't fit them properly. I was once in a fairly high level business meeting  and one of the participant's shirts had the shoulder seams of his shirt sitting at least two inches down his arm. Seeing this guy had obviously looked in the mirror this morning and decided that the shirt was presentable enough to wear to an important business meeting I had difficultly in taking anything he had to say about anything seriously.

When you can have a custom made shirt made and delivered for under $50 and a decent quality one for under $100 I see no excuse for wearing an ill fitting shirt.

+1. I always see people buy undersized shirts for the sake of a muscle-fitted style. A loosened tie and unbuttoned top tend to indicate laziness and lack of effort. :facepalm:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys realize that this is a 3-year old thread and the OP hasn't been on here since?

jsanders65

Reaction score
In a rather conservative environment, I wouldn't advice it but for some departments I guess it's fine as long as you only unbutton the top part. .

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm necro-ing this thread, because I have this problem with a couple shirts. I like extremely slim shirts but in interesting patterns, etc. If i get my correct size (15) the body is too billowy, but I can close the top button comfortably. If I size down to 14.5 (37), the body becomes perfect but the collar is too tight.

Is it possible to get customer shirts that look as edgy as Dior or Jil Sander, or do you have to pick one or the other? While I like a lot of the custom shirts I see on these forums, they always seem like, well, an old Italian guy made them, which is cool but also billowy for me...

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Get the 15 and have it tailored. Tapering a shirt shouldn't cost much, really.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads