1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

ties: what do you think is the best width for a tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by andykoctopus, Sep 28, 2011.

1. andykoctopus

andykoctopus Member

personally, I like my ties on the slimmer side. 2 3/4 inches, 2 7/8 or 3 inches seem to be the best in my opinion. I also like jackets to have slimmer lapels.

2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

2.75-3" for me, but this is because I am very skinny. A tie this width looks about the same on me as a 3.5" tie does on most people.

3. raggedsweater

raggedsweater Active Member

I'm a 38S in jacket size with a 15" neck... to give you a sense of how big I am... a wide tie doesn't work well on me. 3.25" - 3.5" are the range most of my ties. I don't like to go too narrow, though... I work in a relatively conservative environment.

4. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

I like 3.5." I find the trend toward skinnier ties, which I include 3" to be uncomfortable. I am not a big person. 5'6.5" 160lbs.

I have one tie 3" that I never wear. I also have some 4" ties from Drakes that I wear frequently and find to be fine in terms of width.

Yet, 3.5" are what I had my one Hober made, and I think it works best with my frame.

5. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

+1 to the proportion thing...if you are a really skinnny guy, a wide tie might look foolish, ditto for a ultra slim tie on a fat guy. Since you asked, I like the look of the 2.75-3.25" tie mysel. I wear a 39/40 jacket and am 6;1", 155. The trend is definitely towards slimmer, but my advice is to see what is asthetically pleasing to your eye and go with it.

6. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Proportion, absolutely. At 6'4" and 265lbs, the current trend toward skinny (< 3") ties makes buying a bit tougher.

That said, 3 1/2" to 3 3/4" look proper on me.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

^what he said. I'm a solid 44R and 3.25" is pushing too skinny for me. I have a few that are ~4" and that's approaching too wide, depending on lapel width. 3.5 to 3.75" seems to be the sweet spot.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Over time, I've realised that I like 3.25" best, though definitely not narrower than that. 3.5" is OK too, though not my ideal preference, but 3.75" looks too wide on me.

9. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

10. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

I have become more obsessed with taper than width recently. For a tie without much taper to it, 2.75" to 3.25" is my range with 3" being about the sweet spot. In a perfect world all my ties would be 3.25 to 3.5" at the widest point and taper to about 2.5" about 8 or 9 inches up from the tip. I have grown to really dislike ties that are the same width all the way down the blade, especially if they are over about 3" wide.

11. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

I like them wide and bold @ 4". Stefano Ricci is my idol.

12. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

This thread neads a poall.

13. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

3 1/2 is my favorite size.

14. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

15. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

I lol'd

16. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

3.25" for Silk ties. 3" for Cotton, Wool, Cashmere, and Linen ties. 2.25" for knits in any fabric.

17. TexasDan

TexasDan Senior member

I prefer between 3.25 and 3.5 myself. I have tried narrower and wider and have not liked the results.