• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ties that are too long for FIH?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone notice that some ties are too long to do a nice FIH knot? I notice that some of the ties I have make a funny looking FIH knot because they are too long. If the knot looks good the tie is well past my belt buckle, or the tie is short enough but the knot looks funny because its such a long looking knot due to the knot being created out of the thick part of the tie.

Sorry if this doesn't sound right, but hopefully you understand what I mean. Any tips on avoiding this?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm about 5'4", so that pretty much applies to all of my ties. I'm not sure how to avoid it other than having the ties shortened...

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I'm about 5'4", so that pretty much applies to all of my ties. I'm not sure how to avoid it other than having the ties shortened...

Try a windsor knot...

yo!

Reaction score
If you are wearing a non see through shirt you can have the tail be super long and tuck it into the shirt through the button front.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!
If you are wearing a non see through shirt you can have the tail be super long and tuck it into the shirt through the button front.

+1. Some of my ties require that I do this and no one else notices.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!

But then the knot is created out of the thick part of the tie and it makes the knot really long looking and it seems to cause awkward creases in in the knot. Maybe I just need to work on my form. LOL.

I think this is only really a problem when the tie gets too thick too high up in its length.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
But then the knot is created out of the thick part of the tie and it makes the knot really long looking and it seems to cause awkward creases in in the knot. Maybe I just need to work on my form. LOL.

I think this is only really a problem when the tie gets too thick too high up in its length.

I've had some luck w/a double four-in-hand - depends on the thickness of the tie. You can't do a 1/2 or full Windsor w/a thick tie. Alan C. has brought this problem up in AA (I think).

randomax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!

I've tried doing that but the tail doesn't fall straight (since it has to be tilted for it to be inserted inside the shirt).

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tying a windsor isnt a fix, i think this is a problem for shorter people, and having your ties bespoke is one cure for the problem.....how about altering the ties you like?

I know my tailor wouldnt have any issues altering a tie, but i have no idea what it would cost.

Winot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
I've had some luck w/a double four-in-hand - depends on the thickness of the tie.

Yes try this. Called a Prince Albert. On no account Google.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Plattsburgh knot eats up a little more length than a FIH without the formality or size of a Windsor. It's a good compromise knot and, if done right, has a great shape to it.

tlmusic

Reaction score
The solution is simple: Get the ties shortened. A good local tailor could do it for you. I send mine to www.tiecrafters.com in NYC. I am 6' 1" and some ties are too long for me. Maybe manufacturers make extra long ties for men with big guts. For example, Hermes ties are typically 61" long. The only people that need that kind of length must be 6' 6" tall or quite fat.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I know my tailor wouldnt have any issues altering a tie, but i have no idea what it would cost.
My local tailor charges about $20-25.

Tiecrafters charges $17.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads