• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ties sub $100: Brooks Brothers vs Ralph Lauren vs Charles Tyrwhitt

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a look at Granqvist Ties from Sweden. The best ties I have ever had. They have some super light luxurious ties and I feel I am not wearing them. I have a CT Tie i got on sale and it is pretty good for the 40$ I paid, but cannot even compare. Cannot say anything about BB as we don't have them in Sweden.
IG30-4.jpg

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I'm sure there would be quite a noticable difference in a Tiebar tie and a Hober tie? Maybe not when wearing to the untrained eye, but to a trained eye or at least if you were to take it apart and inspect?
If you need to take apart a tie and inspect it to notice a difference, I’d argue the difference isn’t worth noticing. Are my CT grenadines and shantung was good as my Drakes or Hobers? Probably not. Are they suited for purpose, as beater ties for travel that still look interesting? Absolutely.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brioni and Zegna for $10-$20 on eBay? In that range, I’ve only seen super old ties.

compuccesory

Reaction score
Brioni and Zegna for $10-$20 on eBay? In that range, I’ve only seen super old ties.

I have 3 Brionis that I picked up for around the $14 - $15 range and like 5 or 6 E Zegnas for around the $10-$12 range, almost all from forum sponsor Luxeswap. All are essentially new and unworn as far as I can tell. I am a pretty frugal shopper though, and usually will only pay around 1/2 or 1/3 of what Styleforum posters will pay for most things.

EddieK

Reaction score
Take a look at Granqvist Ties from Sweden. The best ties I have ever had. They have some super light luxurious ties and I feel I am not wearing them. I have a CT Tie i got on sale and it is pretty good for the 40$ I paid, but cannot even compare. Cannot say anything about BB as we don't have them in Sweden.
View attachment 1355476

Those ties look nice. I wonder what the interlining composition is? And if I would get import fees shipping to Canada

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those ties look nice. I wonder what the interlining composition is? And if I would get import fees shipping to Canada
I ship shoes to Canada often, you can ask them to mark as gift to be safe.

If it is ok, you can see a small review I wrote about two of their ties and see some more pictures. It is also a small family business and I like to support them.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren will be the better construction, next Brooks Brothers. Designs are a personal choice.

Hermes is great for their prints and interesting for their woven fabrics sometimes good for construction, sometimes not so good.

Drakes has great classic fabrics medium construction not much better than Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren.

Keep in mind that there can de different levels of construction within a brand. As an example, Ralph Lauren Purple label ties are well made with good quality wool interlinings. They are also above $100 per tie but they will last many years and look very good.

Used ties can be a smart purchase if you buy from a reliable seller.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My $.02?

Buy ties that you like.

I appr 100+ ties. Some cost $100+ and some were purchased from small shops in NYC, Thailand, Montreal for < $10. Each look nice when paired with a particular outfit.

In the "what are you wearing today" thread, many members will post pics and details of what they are wearing. One very well dressed member, @upr_crust , always posts details. Sometimes, the socks, ties, etc will be "no name." Yes...he actually posts that. It doesn't take away from his outfit one bit and I am guessing that he purchased the tie/etc because he liked it. I am also guessing that he has had the item for years and gets comments on how nice/stylish it is.

I may not post in that thread, but that is how I go about purchasing ties. If I see a nice $150 tie that fits with my personality/gear...yes. Same for a $10 tie.

(Disclaimer....he isn't the only one, but he does come to mind.)

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’d like to learn more about tie construction, but durability seems a weird marker. I thrift as a hobby, see zillions of ties that have been through the ringer, and they all seem to hold up to abuse. (Granted, some brands, like Charvet, are known to easily develop pulls, but no one would say they’re not nice ties).

If you don’t have to wear them for work (or even if you do) I’d consider the thrift or eBay route. eBay is cheap, but flooded with crap, so it can be tough to find a great pattern, especially if you’re looking for something specific.

Anyway, here’s the last three ties I grabbed: 80s douche, quilted patchwork, and a Mad Men era Brooks Brothers. $3!

2A37517F-D5BE-443C-B593-42397EA6B959.png

05ABC594-B2BB-4AEA-8F40-D8F77985F67B.jpeg

203FF7EB-0C5D-4973-AA9F-89A7A52DA1EF.jpeg

010979A8-9A3B-4F41-AB68-EBEECC2219D3.jpeg

Attachments

• B6825DF1-2240-47B7-9B05-C38314BAB45D.png
    B6825DF1-2240-47B7-9B05-C38314BAB45D.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Noob in 89,

The first part of construction to think about is the raw materials that you use.

Lots of ties have unusual designs that are a big part of their cost, but the quality of the fabric is what you should think about after the design.

Low end ties typically use polyester which has a stiff feeling - some men don't mind this which is OK. Next there is low end silk which may be very light or not woven well etc again if someone doesn't mind it is fine.

Interinings can be stiff polyester or soft wool. Also wool comes in different grades and finishes.

Next the cutting of the silk and sewing can be done by machine or by hand - the difference is a better drape and fit and finish.

Finally a custom made tie will be exactly as you like it length, width shape number of folds monograms etc.

Each additional step adds costs.

I had a good friend in Denver who loved ties and had many - he never paid much for his ties and was happy - which was a good thing. And other friends want elegant silk with expert hand construction which is also good.

In the end knowing what you like personally is important.

EddieK

Reaction score
I ship shoes to Canada often, you can ask them to mark as gift to be safe.

If it is ok, you can see a small review I wrote about two of their ties and see some more pictures. It is also a small family business and I like to support them.
Thanks, It looks like I don't have to pay import fees if it's made in Sweden

EddieK

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren will be the better construction, next Brooks Brothers. Designs are a personal choice.

Hermes is great for their prints and interesting for their woven fabrics sometimes good for construction, sometimes not so good.

Drakes has great classic fabrics medium construction not much better than Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren.

Keep in mind that there can de different levels of construction within a brand. As an example, Ralph Lauren Purple label ties are well made with good quality wool interlinings. They are also above $100 per tie but they will last many years and look very good.

Used ties can be a smart purchase if you buy from a reliable seller.

Thank you for all that info.
I'm assuming Ralph Lauren's polo line and other lines would probably be using polyester interlining or a mix because it's quite cheaper than the purple label?

Also, I heard there is an OTR tie line from you guys? Is it made using the same materials and construction? Only difference being the SamHober site is purely custom?

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, It looks like I don't have to pay import fees if it's made in Sweden
Glad to hear, you can also ask him directly on Instagram if you want to learn more about the fabrics or the construction :) good luck and stay safe

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
EddieK,

I don't know about Ralph Lauren's Polo line - I just remember seeing the Purple label ties in a store and thinking they had a very nice classic construction.

We have a Benjamin Hober brand which uses the same silk and wool interlinings and has the same slow detailed construction.

The Benjamin Hober ties are not custom made but they have many options for length and width. The basic idea is to provide a tie that can be ordered and delivered quicker and a slightly lower price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads