• Styleforum is going on Instagram Live today with Eva Kuhle of Epaulet

Today, Peter talks to Eva Kuhle of Epaulet, a long time Styleforum member and sponsor, in the latest episode in our ongoing series of conversations about COVID-19 and the impact the global pandemic on the menswear industry

Tune in at 4:00 p.m. PDT

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ties sub $100: Brooks Brothers vs Ralph Lauren vs Charles Tyrwhitt

EddieK

Reaction score
Which one would you say is better value?
Which one is better quality?
How does it compare to other nice brands such as Hermes, Drake's? Obviously it's not as good but how comparative is the difference?

Crispyj

Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt is not a tie maker. Ralph Lauren is not a tie maker. I have never bought a BB tie, but they are probably okay value on sale.

$185: Drake's ties tie like a dream, easiest dimples of my life. Three fold for the best looking knots.

$195?: Hermes is designer brand, 'nuff said. Just kidding, their construction isn't bad, but I'm not too into their silk prints.

$245: I also have a seven fold Tie Your Tie by Kenji Kaga. It does not knot as well as my Drake's tie, but it is very comfortable and light. Also, I know that in the US, no one has the same print as my tie.

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt is not a tie maker. Ralph Lauren is not a tie maker. I have never bought a BB tie, but they are probably okay value on sale.

$185: Drake's ties tie like a dream, easiest dimples of my life. Three fold for the best looking knots.

$195?: Hermes is designer brand, 'nuff said. Just kidding, their construction isn't bad, but I'm not too into their silk prints.

$245: I also have a seven fold Tie Your Tie by Kenji Kaga. It does not knot as well as my Drake's tie, but it is very comfortable and light. Also, I know that in the US, no one has the same print as my tie.
I think you missed the entire premise of the OP. They were looking to discuss sub-$100 ties such as BB, RL, and CT to find out how large the gap is between those and the ties from Drakes, Hermes, etc.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ties are the biggest diminishing returns in classic menswear. The comparisons above don't really matter IMO.

If it looks good and ties a knot that you like, that's all that matters.

I have a CT tie, Tiebar ties, Hober ties, and Chipp ties.

amiga505

Reaction score
I have a CT knit wool tie, it's an interesting pattern, so I wear it (I have a soft spot for knit ties in general), but the quality could be better. in my opinion, you can buy way better quality ties for $100, especially if you buy on sale or on eBay. Boggi ties retail for less than that amount, even at full price. I like their patterns and quality. one can pick Shibumi ties on sale for as low as EUR 80, at least here in Europe. eBay has many NWOT tie options from different makers. Drake's ties look good, although I do not own one myself, but I feel that their stuff is dramatically overpriced.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most CT ties aren’t very much worth it. However, I do have a few grenadines and shantung that are quite nice and make great travel ties.

EddieK

Reaction score
I see many CT Ties for around $25+ USD on sale right now.
Also Brook Brother ties for ~$40 USD.
Which one do you guys think is better?

jts287

Reaction score
I agree that the pattern is most important, but as a tiebreaker for me, CT are Chinese-made (per Google; I've never owned one) and BB are generally USA-made (I have a bunch). As an aside, I don't believe I've ever bought a nice tie new- just go on eBay and find one you like for pennies on the dollar.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skip all of these options and use ebay from established sellers. My tie rack is chock full of $250+ retail ties and I've never paid more than $100. Usually around $60ish

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
I'd go with BB, personally. But I don't think there's a massive gulf in quality there.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several CT ties acquired over the years. I find their more recent offerings to be poor compared to older ones, and the colours very uninspiring, but remember their grenadines are more than likely woven in the same Italian mill as the likes of Drakes’ et al, so if you aren’t too fussy about the tie’s innards you can save a lot of $$ there.

I have a couple of BB ties but got them at an outlet so not great quality but the colours were what I was after. I don’t think I own a Lauren tie so can’t really comment.

One of the most expensive ties I ever bought was a Kiton and it was crap!

EddieK

Reaction score
I have several CT ties acquired over the years. I find their more recent offerings to be poor compared to older ones, and the colours very uninspiring, but remember their grenadines are more than likely woven in the same Italian mill as the likes of Drakes’ et al, so if you aren’t too fussy about the tie’s innards you can save a lot of $$ there.

I have a couple of BB ties but got them at an outlet so not great quality but the colours were what I was after. I don’t think I own a Lauren tie so can’t really comment.

One of the most expensive ties I ever bought was a Kiton and it was crap!
Yes it says their grenadines are made in Italy from one of those mills. What do you mean by the tie's innards though? the interlining?

EddieK

Reaction score
Ties are the biggest diminishing returns in classic menswear. The comparisons above don't really matter IMO.

If it looks good and ties a knot that you like, that's all that matters.

I have a CT tie, Tiebar ties, Hober ties, and Chipp ties.
But I'm sure there would be quite a noticable difference in a Tiebar tie and a Hober tie? Maybe not when wearing to the untrained eye, but to a trained eye or at least if you were to take it apart and inspect?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I'm sure there would be quite a noticable difference in a Tiebar tie and a Hober tie? Maybe not when wearing to the untrained eye, but to a trained eye or at least if you were to take it apart and inspect?
Probably yes.

I bought a Hober grenadine and I don't care for it.

With Hober the benefit is that you can specify length, width, tie knot area width, tipping, lining, sevenfold etc. Slip stitch, wool lining.

Tie bar doesn't have anywhere near those variations or details and likely uses polyester lining.

Since I only care about how a tie looks and ties a knot, none of the above really matter to me.

Some might argue the Hober details and construction would result in a better knot.

I argue that it's possible to get great knots out of cheap ties so it doesn't matter to me. I don't like my grenadine knots.

compuccesory

Reaction score
Skip all of these options and use ebay from established sellers. My tie rack is chock full of $250+ retail ties and I've never paid more than $100. Usually around $60ish
I do this too but I'm OK with used ties since there is no issue of fit and most of the "used" ties I buy show no sign of ever having been worn. My favorite ties are Brioni, which are good buys in the $20 range - say what you want about the snobbishness of the brand but the handfeel is sunstantially superior to virtually everything else. For the $10-$12 price range E Zegna is pretty good. For more interesting Italian brand try Massimo Bizzochi

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.