• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ties Poll: Do you prefer Understatement or Boldness?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ties Poll: Do you prefer Understatement or Boldness?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Equal, depending on what kind of look I'm going for.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like a bold tie, but some I find over the top, like they're trying too hard. I tend to like ones that are fairly discreet -- navy with silver dots is both a classic and a personal favorite, for example. I also like black grenadine and other sedate ties. But properly combined with the right outfit, an understated tie can be very bold in its own right, I think.

Ultimately, I don't want people looking at just my tie.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Subdued - but I think even an understated tie such as a solid grenadine needs to be thought out properly in relation to the shirt, suit and shoes.
It should be an integral part of the whole ensemble which should then project the impression you are well dressed overall.
It's best those who remark on your clothing can't exactly pinpoint any one item in particular which causes them to comment.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you consider bold but perfectly wearable?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
Equal, depending on what kind of look I'm going for.

Agreed. Sometimes I want to stand out; sometimes I want to stand out only if someone looks closely. It depends on my mood as well as the occasion.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general, I like ties like this:

3y6y70i.jpg

Recent pic posted by Soph

Not too understated and not too bold. Of course, the choice of tie depends on the rest of the outfit, and this pic shows a good example of how a slightly bolder tie is well balanced with the solid colors of the shirt and suit.

For more understated ties, I like silk and quality like this:

rffok2.jpg

Pic posted by Iammatt

For ties that fall under the understatement category, I think it is even more important to have very good silk quality and construction. That is what gives the tie it`s boldness and presence.

lhooq

Reaction score
Understated. I'm trying to project an image that matches my personality at work -- calm, thoughtful, diligent. Although I do have a navy tie with miniature woven Shiva's that has made some Asian ladies weak in the knees.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i like both but in recent time i have been use HRHPOW as my shirt and tie icon
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Newton

Reaction score
Most definitely the occasion.

If it's a party, cocktail night maybe, I will go with something quite bold.

If it's business, understated elegance with perhaps a slight dash of personality somewhere.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Wear both but more weighted to bold. If i'm wearing a conservative suit (Zegna, Brioni) then I'll go for a bolder tie like Richard James or Leonard or Versace. Not a fan of understated and conservative ties at all though that have stripes or small polka dots a la Armani, Kiton, Talbott, etc (prefer solids). For eg. that Olive tie that Dragon has [posted i would never ever wear..even if you paid me. Boring. Playing it safe. Ugly. Just my opinion and 2c worth.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
For ties that fall under the understatement category, I think it is even more important to have very good silk quality and construction. That is what gives the tie it`s boldness and presence.

This is key, the sheen of the tie, and very high quality silk, also a 7 fold construction 'basis' perhaps, I'm finding this to provide the understated yet with slight flair look I'm after. Also I feel Navy, burgundy, brown, dark dreen can do wonderous things. I really don't care for a tie that overpowers the suit and person. But I see alot more of these ties than well done, high end silk sophisticated and understated ties. The key as you say is the quality of the silk, it's as if those looking at the tie notice the quality/luxury of the silk over the graphic design of the tie itself. I have a solid Navy tie like this, and people always say that's looks like a really expensive / rich tie, yet it's not because it's some bright, bold overdone tie. It's still a case by case, event, season basis though, but for business which is where I wear ties, I'm going with your logic. I also believe this allows the cut of the suit to become more a focal point as is the wearer also.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka