Ties for business casual environment? (e.g. wool ties, silk knit ties, etc.)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FidelCashflow, Nov 17, 2012.

1. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

I face the conundrum that I'm sure many other people on this forum do as well, traditional silk ties which look great with suits are just too much for a business casual environment - in my experience it just draws a lot of weird/perplexed reactions because people think I'm either trying to impress someone or interviewing for another job. I'm not trying to impress anyone, but I'm not trying to alienate people either.

Lately I'm looking more at ties which are elegant, but casual. I have a few silk knit ties which I've recently become a fan of. I'm also looking for a few good wool ties with a coarse texture - any suggestions?

I recently saw these on an SF'ers blog from a store called Schoffa - but sadly they don't have them for sale on their website. The blue one in particular had me jumping up and down.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

2. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Here are a few wool options that are quite casual.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The raw silk ties by Drake's are a wonderful alternative to formal business ties as well. A few examples...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nothing really to contribute other than to say I'm in the same boat with my tie collection. So yeah...moral support (and I am liking pointed silk knits, grenadines, wool, and raw silk for this).

4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Not a fan of knit ties although I have seen some people pull them off really well. On the other hand I love wool ties. They are my go to item when I am dressing casually. They are also popular enough to be widely available. Knit ties aren't difficult to find in store fronts but they are hard to find in any great variety. Unless you look online of course.

5. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

I like knit ties a lot, but they work best with fairly "preppy" looks - button-down collar shirts, blazers and chinos.

Am coming to like wool ties as well.

6. apack

apack Senior member

I have a couple of knit ties but basically have stopped wearing them. Why would I wear those when I can wear more interesting things like the following:

Drake's wool-cashmere blend

[​IMG]

Luciano Barbera wool-silk blend (actual colors play a lot darker than this)

[​IMG]

Atkinsons poplin wool-silk blend

[​IMG]

At other times of year:

Brooks Brothers linen

[​IMG]

Cocktail collection lightweight silk

[​IMG]

There are a *lot* of tie designs out there. It is not too difficult to find fabrics/patterns/colors that work in any setting.

p.s., please don't tell the guys on styleforum that I'm willing to wear Cocktail Collection ties!

7. williamson

williamson Senior member

Wool or cotton is the way to go - particularly if the jacket is rough-textured like a tweed.

8. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

9. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

10. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

No, not quite Spoo. (He out-Tom-Fords me by a 100:1 ratio.) But I had been bidding on those ties 'til I realized that going up against his C-suite clientele wouldn't work for me. I did, however, buy these yesterday to wear to work in the frozen outposts of Ontario: (from the top: Isaia wool, Prada wool, Brioni cashmere).

[​IMG]

11. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Suffice it to say that there probably aren't even surveys on the subject, but any average person who thinks a silk tie looks too dressy probably would also think a wool tie looks too dressy. A skinny tie might prompt a better reaction, but it's not going to be blindly recommended here.