• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tiecrafters: how good are they, exactly?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
26,703
Reaction score
9,830
I need to have some simple three-fold ties shortened by a couple of inches. How good is Tiecrafters? Will the altered tie still look like it came from the factory, or will the alteration stand out? What about narrowing?

Bill, I know you've done this. Weigh in.
 

Manton

RINO
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,314
Reaction score
2,879
Ties come back a little stiff and flat, and overpressed at the edges, in my experiece (and it has been a long time since I used them).
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
26,703
Reaction score
9,830
Originally Posted by iammatt
Exactly?

Originally Posted by teddieriley
Exactly.

Yes. With greater exactitudedness.

Originally Posted by Manton
Ties come back a little stiff and flat, and overpressed at the edges, in my experiece (and it has been a long time since I used them).

Hmm. Well these are already kind of stiff and flat, so maybe it won't be too big a deal.
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,700
Reaction score
180
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I need to have some simple three-fold ties shortened by a couple of inches. How good is Tiecrafters? Will the altered tie still look like it came from the factory, or will the alteration stand out? What about narrowing?

Bill, I know you've done this. Weigh in.


If all shortening that you need can come from the back blade, I give them 9 out of 10.

For narrowing, I give them 7 or 8 out of 10.

I have only had regular three folds done by them, however.

Overall, they usually succeed leaving no evidence of having handled your tie...but be sure to specify that the tie not be cleaned, even though they are probably the best option for that if it must come to it.


- B
 

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2006
Messages
8,043
Reaction score
100
The Foxx had a recent thread (within the past week) about his experience with Tiecrafters (overwhelmingly positive). But I also know that because he is not Manton, Vox, Whnay, or iammatt, his opinion does not count.
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,700
Reaction score
180
Originally Posted by lee_44106
But I also know that because he is not Manton, Vox, Whnay, or iammatt, his opinion does not count.

Better to be zero than negative.


- B
 

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
1,820
Reaction score
25
I have not had ties altered at Tiecrafters, but I am thinking of having some narrowed. I have had ties cleaned and have been very happy with the results. I once spilled a bottle of White-out on a tie and they got it out without leaving a trace. Maybe this is easy to do, but I was impressed
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
26,703
Reaction score
9,830
Originally Posted by lee_44106
The Foxx had a recent thread (within the past week) about his experience with Tiecrafters (overwhelmingly positive). But I also know that because he is not Manton, Vox, Whnay, or iammatt, his opinion does not count.

I think you've mixed up Foxx and Whnay.
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
26,703
Reaction score
9,830
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
If all shortening that you need can come from the back blade, I give them 9 out of 10.

For narrowing, I give them 7 or 8 out of 10.


Okay, screw the narrowing. These are narrow enough as is. If I just want the ties shortened, what's the worst possible side-effect?
 

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jan 3, 2008
Messages
12,895
Reaction score
2,402
Originally Posted by Manton
Ties come back a little stiff and flat, and overpressed at the edges, in my experiece (and it has been a long time since I used them).

dont you hate that? one of my pet peeves with people who press ties is that they look like a peice of colored paper after some of them are finished smashing the tie.
 

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
9,657
Reaction score
430
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Okay, screw the narrowing. These are narrow enough as is. If I just want the ties shortened, what's the worst possible side-effect?

Worst possible side effect? You buy a new tie. Just send them some ties. You'll be satisfied. I've had them succesfully remove olive oil from a silk tie that came back looking like new.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

  • Peacoat

  • Great coat

  • Trench

  • Mac

  • Chesterfield

  • Duffle coat

  • Topcoat

  • Shearling

  • Balmacaan

  • Parka

  • Loden

  • Car coat


Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
503,160
Messages
10,563,732
Members
223,358
Latest member
getbioxtrim
Top