• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie with red striped shirt

joopie

Reaction score
Hi all, I just bought a nice white-red striped E. Zegna shirt, but I have come to realize that finding a tie to combine with this shirt is more difficult than I thought. What kind of tie would you suggest to combine with the shirt (I made a selection of my ties; would any of these be possible to combine with the shirt?)

joopie

Reaction score
Bump, I'd be really interested in your anwers.

Thanks!

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joopie

Thanks!

A tie with red in. Striped ones, too. A tie without red, but red in the Pocketsquare.

From left to right: 2, (4), 5, 7, 9, 10, 13.

Depends on the colour of the suit and the colour of the shoes, too.

the_economist

Reaction score

Thanks!

Funny, today I wore a similar shirt with a solid grenadine tie--the color was slightly darker than the shirt stripe. I thought it looked good, but I'm still new at this.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The navy blue tie with the small red paisleys should work, no?

RedScarf7

Reaction score
More importantly, what pocket square shall you where with the new shirt?

joopie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
The navy blue tie with the small red paisleys should work, no?

Unfortunately, the paisleys are deep pink in real life.

Originally Posted by RedScarf7
More importantly, what pocket square shall you where with the new shirt?

I don't have any pocket squares. I only wear these clothes at work, and pocket squares would be a bit over the top for a young trainee lawyer.

But thanks for the advice everyone!

What kind of suit (ans shoes) would you wear this with btw? A navy or charcoal suit? I imagina that a navy suit with heavy pinstripes would be out of the question?

rsgould

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
A tie with red in. Striped ones, too. A tie without red, but red in the Pocketsquare.

From left to right: 2, (4), 5, 7, 9, 10, 13.

Depends on the colour of the suit and the colour of the shoes, too.

Nailed it except the one with the little paisleys.

Tardek

Reaction score
These forums are filled with lawyers and lawyers-to-be.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced by striped ties with striped shirts.
Navy always works with red shirts, and a slightly different tone of red should work well.

Of course the obvious answer is to treat yourself to a new tie to go with the new shirt
wink.gif

joopie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I'm not convinced by striped ties with striped shirts.
Navy always works with red shirts, and a slightly different tone of red should work well.

Of course the obvious answer is to treat yourself to a new tie to go with the new shirt
wink.gif

Do you mean a solid navy tie or suit?

Do you have a suggestion of a new tie, with a picture if possible (considering the sales period, I'm planning to buy some!)?

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Quick advice - do not build your wardrobe according to your shirts and ties, buy shirts and ties that work with your wardrobe! It is easier and less costly!
Suits - grey's - from light ones (not silver grey) to dark grey - IMHO charcoal is too formal for striped shirts! Blues - the same - from petrol to mid-navy! Some tweeds also.
Regarding shoes - with grey, you can go all the spectrum of brown shades - from tan to dark brown or oxblood, calf or suede.
In fact, the problem, when you are pairing a day's wardrobe is to have the sense of colors, shades and depths that are specific to your own garments - describing them in words, sometimes even in pictures, is not at all accurate. And styling yourself is also a trial and error process - can be costly, both in time and money. You should take it gradually, and learn yourself about your style !

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean a solid navy tie or suit?

Do you have a suggestion of a new tie, with a picture if possible (considering the sales period, I'm planning to buy some!)?

I'd wear the shirt whilst shopping to give yourself a perfect match!

Either a solid navy suit or a solid navy tie will work, but both at the same time would be a bit much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads