• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie + Water Stain = Dead Tie?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spilled some water on my tie earlier today and now theres a huge stain. Is there any way that I can have this stain removed? I've looked at a bunch of websites and all I get is that it is pretty much the worst thing to have happen (aside from butter/grease). I'll go to the cleaners tomorrow, but I'd like to know if it is possible to remove this stain before I spend $3 and a couple days of my time on nothing. Thanks.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it made sense to bump this, rather than repost the same question.

I was wearing a brand new silk Brioni tie last night. Spilled some (read: a lot of) tap water on it. Now there is a painfully visible water stain on it. Can anything be done?

Thanks

Cas Ruffin

Reaction score
I'd actually want to know this. Kuz everyone here says never dry clean a tie. I've never had a problem dry cleaning a tie like once a year or once every two years.

On a side note, I spilled lotion on a silk tie. Not THAT'S a dead tie.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
I spilled some water on my tie earlier today and now theres a huge stain. Is there any way that I can have this stain removed? I've looked at a bunch of websites and all I get is that it is pretty much the worst thing to have happen (aside from butter/grease). I'll go to the cleaners tomorrow, but I'd like to know if it is possible to remove this stain before I spend $3 and a couple days of my time on nothing. Thanks.

A water stain? I haven't had water stain my ties before

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know. I was totally shocked to look at it this morning and see the stain.

spence

Reaction score
If it's a nice tie I'd consider sending it to tiecrafters. I've only had a few ties sent to the regular cleaner and I never liked how they came out.

-spence

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think cleaners have gotten a lot better at cleaning ties in the last few years. I've had a few successful rescues of butter stains, which is nearly always fatal.

Chase Hamilton

Reaction score
I would highly endorse mailing it to tiecrafters:

http://www.tiecrafters.com/

They do excellent work, and I am quite fussy.

--Chase

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Why not dip the whole thing in water and let it dry?

Funny, that was my first thought.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
You could end up with a wrinkled tie, but I wonder if you just sprinkled enough water to lightly moisten the tie if that would do the trick.

Finsen

Reaction score
I don't think it is the water itself that stained your tie. Most likely it is the minerals and impurities within the water that are leaving a mark on your tie.

I would say gently hand wash it first, and if doesn't work, dry clean.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Finsen
I don't think it is the water itself that stained your tie. Most likely it is the minerals and impurities within the water that are leaving a mark on your tie.

I would say gently hand wash it first, and if doesn't work, dry clean.

This is almost certainly the case. Lord only knows what is in NYC tap water. Any suggestions on how to handwash and what to use (obviously I can't use tap water!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads