Tie Travel Case

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zarathustra, Nov 7, 2007.

1. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

I am looking for a tie case, preferably leather. Think this, but not so crappy, not so JAB, and not black.

[​IMG]

If it has inserts for bones even better.

Thanks.

2. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Try this one. It's PURPLE LABEL [​IMG] , it's got a small pouch built-in for your knick-knacks/bones. It's got a plaid lining, and it's quite fancy with twill and leather trim.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

Of course it's also $500[​IMG]

Tie travel case is such a luxury item, completely unnecessary, but oh so cool to have, especially the RLPL one.

3. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

I love that one... but it is not worth that much. I a looking to stay at say 150ish. i have seen a few coach ones on ebay... but i fear they are fakes.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I think I saw one in the Brooks Brothers holiday catalog. Might be worth calling the store. It was less than the RLPL and they are having a sale.

5. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

I never understood the need for these. I just use the long, narrow boxes that ties often come in when bought at a store. Am I missing something?

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

On the eBay, I once saw a custom 1950s travel tie-case in high quality crocodile skin.

The seller said it was ordered by her father and it had a monogram. Very nice though I didn't buy it.

7. Taxler

Taxler Senior member

I never understood the need for these. I just use the long, narrow boxes that ties often come in when bought at a store. Am I missing something?

A leather tie case has a bit more elegance than cardboard, it holds the tie in place while a box allows it to slide around, and it stays securely closed without the use of tape or string. Other than that, either will accomplish the job equally.

8. EL72

EL72 Senior member

9. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

ghurka

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

This looks like a pretty good choice for $98 http://www.colonellittleton.com/?p=p...cat=31&id=tc12

That's the one I've been lusting after for awhile, but I really can't justify it. That won't stop me eventually, but it has so far.

11. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

What the heck is Colonel Littleton? I'm a bit surprised the new Ghurka behemoth hasn't rolled over on them (him?) for trademark infringement.
    I'll bet if you kept your eyes open on ebay for a couple of weeks you could come up with something really excellent. I imagine the old Dunhill Tailors, for example, sold a great one.

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Col. Littleton products are fairly commonly seen in independent men's shops in the South. It's sort of a J Peterman meets Ghurka, based in Tennessee. They seem to make good stuff.

13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just for fun I thought I would post pics of this tie case circa late 80's. It was purchased at MOMA NYC and given to me as a Christmas gift. It was designed by Giorgio Pizzitutti. I recall that it was a rather "big deal" and that this item had a lot of PR coverage and was in many top catalogs. I have kept it on the top of my dresser for years and years. I love the look of it in that cognac colored leather so I just put it on my dresser and left it there. It's like a piece of leather sculpture to me. I also found the four black foam inserts interesting. Its like,"do you really need to place inserts between your rolled up ties?"Apparently Giorgio thought we did. Anyway, I traveled a LOT but only used it once. Probably because it took up so much room.

So, next time you are at a flea market and see a leather tube.....

14. robin

robin Senior member

^ Heh, that's kind of neat. Mostly impractical for travel though.

15. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

I got this case from Bromely's a few years ago.

http://www.classicwardrobe.co.uk/Pro...ies/Travel-Kit

The good: It was relatively cheap and attractive.

The bad: It isn't all leather. It doesn't have any bones so it lacks structure. Also, because it is not sealed, dirt liquid from broken containers and the like can damage the neckties.