• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Swap-Box Idea

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Levoosh, send me your address and I'll send you something and you take it from there, no need to turn this is a thesis assignment.

I got dibs after Levoosh called it

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dibs after imhoff

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
just based on the fragrance version of this...

the way we did it was to make a list of who's in, organize into a rough sort of geographic route,

and then there's the seed. Either the person starting it has at least quite a bit to start, or a couple of people send theirs on ahead to make a big seed and then later on they receive the box...

I also PM'd WRAdvisor this thread so hopefully he'll come back here soon and organize this...

example from fragrances - http://www.styleforum.net/t/241685/the-3rd-styleforum-fragrance-sample-swap-box/0_60

Sentinel

Reaction score
I've done this with the shaving world a few times and it's worked out quite well. About the worst part of it was that the really desirable items were gone within a few stops, but even still everyone wanted to contribute more than they took.

I would be interested in joining in, but it would be more to play Barbie and get to try dozens of ties with different shirts and jackets to get some ideas.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in. I could use some more basic neutral/soporific ones.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, making the geographic route should be pretty easy, barring international addresses. And at that point, those shipping internationally will get a brunt of the disadvantage due to increased shipping. This will however be offset by getting a new tie for the effort (hopefully).

What I can do is get everyone's addresses and make an order based on Levoosh's address and plot the route from there. Since I have little history with many of the people here, there will be no favoritism regarding who follows who.

If you are all okay with that, you can PM me the addresses and I'll start the list.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
that's one way, the other way would just be to PM everyone or get them to post their city+state here then it's easy to figure out a rough route. Whoever has the box PM's the next person in line so only one person has your address at a time and the 'organizer' doesn't have to manage every single changeover...

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One way to keep people honest, is to have the next person on the route/list Paypal the shipping $ to the one who has the box. This will give us basic account info, address, etc. to track with the package. Another rule can be no P.O. boxes, office addresses, etc. things of that nature.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that's one way, the other way would just be to PM everyone or get them to post their city+state here then it's easy to figure out a rough route. Whoever has the box PM's the next person in line so only one person has your address at a time and the 'organizer' doesn't have to manage every single changeover...

+1 to this. I don't want a ton of people having access to my address.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads