1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tie Swap-Box Idea

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by WRAdvisor, Jun 21, 2010.

1. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Well, making the geographic route should be pretty easy, barring international addresses. And at that point, those shipping internationally will get a brunt of the disadvantage due to increased shipping. This will however be offset by getting a new tie for the effort (hopefully).

What I can do is get everyone's addresses and make an order based on Levoosh's address and plot the route from there. Since I have little history with many of the people here, there will be no favoritism regarding who follows who.

If you are all okay with that, you can PM me the addresses and I'll start the list.

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

that's one way, the other way would just be to PM everyone or get them to post their city+state here then it's easy to figure out a rough route. Whoever has the box PM's the next person in line so only one person has your address at a time and the 'organizer' doesn't have to manage every single changeover...

3. landshark

landshark Senior member

One way to keep people honest, is to have the next person on the route/list Paypal the shipping $ to the one who has the box. This will give us basic account info, address, etc. to track with the package. Another rule can be no P.O. boxes, office addresses, etc. things of that nature.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

How about we find out who is officially in charge here? Who is running this show?

not it
    [​IMG]

5. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

+1 to this. I don't want a ton of people having access to my address.

6. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

Im definitely interested. I just counted my ties and I have a little more than 100 of them. I would love to do some trades.

7. Master-Classter

WRAdvisor hasn't posted in a few months... so that leaves a spot for someone to step up and organize. Ideally someone on one of the coasts...

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Whoever bumped this up should be responsible....

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

If anyone is interested in having me consign for them, I would be willing. Send me a PM to discuss.

Outright buys are also an option.

10. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

How about this. Someone goes through the thread and lists the names in order that they responded. Post it. Someone with ties to spare starts the box off by PMing the first person on the list for his address. If after a couple of days of no response, PM the next etc. Post that you have sent it on and any thoughts on the ties or whatever. The person who starts off should get the box back after three of four people to make it fair.

Everyone would be responsible for the shipping of the box along, and we are all on the honor code otherwise. Also there is no large master list of addresses floating around.

Any issues with this?

11. Master-Classter

<--- Underwear Typist...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  12. IrateCustomer

DerekS PMed me his address, and I've begun a spreadsheet. Just PM me your address and I'll compile everything and post a route starting with Levoosh if Ed sends him some ties. I'll make sure everyone here knows the route so we all know what to expect.

Transparency is key here.

13. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Very generous of you, Ed.

I'll toss in two ties as well, but maybe it would be better to send them towards the middle of the run so that the box gets "refreshed", though I'm open to suggestions.

I also don't want any ties in return.

14. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

dibs after the box comes to Kent. :lol::lol: i have a handfull id like to get in the box as well...couple charvets and other random ties ive picked up. if someone finally gets this together it could be a great thing.

15. IrateCustomer

I'm doing what I can to get this rolling D. If I get a good chunk of PMs over the weekend we should be able to get this started within a week or two. Also, I think what Kent and Ed are doing is very generous to help get this off the ground, and I humbly volunteer to get this thing started on the Left Coast if Levoosh falls off the planet and doesn't return to this thread :D

16. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

I'll pop a Marinella in there for free if it comes over to this side of the pond.

17. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

yeah, malford, ed, and kent are great guys. :slayer:

should be a lot of fun!

18. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Might also throw in a Charvet and maybe an Emma Willis NWT

19. NORE

NORE Senior member

Wouldn't it be better and ultimately transparent if a virtual tie box was done, whereas the ties are pictured and a list is made and whomever is next on the list gets to choose and post a pic of what they'll contribute? This way the entire group can get a sense of what's coming and going? Maybe turns can be swapped if someone sees something they like earlier than their turn or if someone down the road has something someone ahead of them may want.

The list would have to be established ahead of time (say, 20 members) and possibly locked until everyone on the list has had their turn.

Just a thought.

1 person likes this.
  20. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Sent PM