• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tie suggestions for suit/ shirt combo

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys--
I have been stocking up on a few "necessary" items lately, now that I'm working overseas again and have some additional $$ for a few purchases. I think I'd like to start wearing this shirt + suit combo, do they work (striped shirt with pinstriped suit)?

If so, can you recommend a tie that would bring it all together? thanks!

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it will work.

Buy a solid tie. E.g. Maroon.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, Golf. I hadn't thought of that, actually, since maroon isn't one of the colors of the suit or tie-- but it would be very Wall Street / Gekko, I think I'll try that. I actually have a superb paul stuart tie in solid maroon satin I rec'd as a gift a few years back.

any other suggestions/ ideas?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
solid tie with very simple pattern.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chocolate to pick up suede shoes!

sort of like this
L1060022W.jpg

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good lord, I can't wear a chocolate colored tie with that suit! Can't be done!! I might copy that same style with my solid grey Isaia suit, tho, PG.

anyone have any pix of ties they can post, which might work with the shirt tie combo? suggestions sound good, but I'd like to look at some specifics that I don't already own.

thanks! Baghdad is getting cooler this time of year, makes me want to spend a little $$

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
Good lord, I can't wear a chocolate colored tie with that suit! Can't be done!! I might copy that same style with my solid grey Isaia suit, tho, PG.

anyone have any pix of ties they can post, which might work with the shirt tie combo? suggestions sound good, but I'd like to look at some specifics that I don't already own.

thanks! Baghdad is getting cooler this time of year, makes me want to spend a little $$

- Maybe this will be better, from the archives, I'm sticking with my GUNS!!!!
L1050483.jpg

L1050481.jpg

L1050473.jpg

tlmusic

Reaction score
To complete the classic "City of London" look, (which is what your shirt and suit combo is heading toward) all you need is a tie with spots. Many sizes of spots and colors would work. I also like the grenadine and solid suggesions. How about a herringbone solid in red, pink, royal blue, or burgundy? Whatever you like... Turnbull and Asser makes nice examples: http://store.turnbullandasser.co.uk/...ringbone/Plain

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, great recommendations-- and i didn't know one could purchase T&A ties online!

Here are the ones I'm leaning toward, couldn't find a 'spot tie' that seemed to go with the dark navy of the suit and sky blue stripe. would the patterned tie work with this combo, do you think (or better with a white shirt?). PhatGuido, I'm considering the other tie to copy your signature look, would this work (and do you mind my imitating your sprezzatura?)

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PhatGuido, I'm considering the other tie to copy your signature look, would this work (and do you mind my imitating your sprezzatura?)
- Sprezza what? You want my cologne as well!
wink.gif

- I didn't realize I had a signature look.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
merkur--

nope! that guy wears square toed shoes and ostrich gymshoes, which I would only wear in my Own Personal Hell.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
merkur--

nope! that guy wears square toed shoes and ostrich gymshoes, which I would only wear in my Own Personal Hell.

- also you have a tailor..

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are the ones I'm leaning toward, couldn't find a 'spot tie' that seemed to go with the dark navy of the suit and sky blue stripe.
Neither of those IMHO. Stolen some pictures from B&S & forum members sites here ...
2896963113_3d1205e16a_m.jpg
Kent Wang navy grenadine
ii_793.jpeg
Sam Sober Purple grenadine

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads