• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

tie suggestions for suit/ shirt combo

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys--
I have been stocking up on a few "necessary" items lately, now that I'm working overseas again and have some additional $$ for a few purchases. I think I'd like to start wearing this shirt + suit combo, do they work (striped shirt with pinstriped suit)?

If so, can you recommend a tie that would bring it all together? thanks!

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it will work.

Buy a solid tie. E.g. Maroon.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, Golf. I hadn't thought of that, actually, since maroon isn't one of the colors of the suit or tie-- but it would be very Wall Street / Gekko, I think I'll try that. I actually have a superb paul stuart tie in solid maroon satin I rec'd as a gift a few years back.

any other suggestions/ ideas?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chocolate to pick up suede shoes!

sort of like this

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good lord, I can't wear a chocolate colored tie with that suit! Can't be done!! I might copy that same style with my solid grey Isaia suit, tho, PG.

anyone have any pix of ties they can post, which might work with the shirt tie combo? suggestions sound good, but I'd like to look at some specifics that I don't already own.

thanks! Baghdad is getting cooler this time of year, makes me want to spend a little $$

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
Good lord, I can't wear a chocolate colored tie with that suit! Can't be done!! I might copy that same style with my solid grey Isaia suit, tho, PG.

anyone have any pix of ties they can post, which might work with the shirt tie combo? suggestions sound good, but I'd like to look at some specifics that I don't already own.

thanks! Baghdad is getting cooler this time of year, makes me want to spend a little $$

- Maybe this will be better, from the archives, I'm sticking with my GUNS!!!!

tlmusic

Reaction score
To complete the classic "City of London" look, (which is what your shirt and suit combo is heading toward) all you need is a tie with spots. Many sizes of spots and colors would work. I also like the grenadine and solid suggesions. How about a herringbone solid in red, pink, royal blue, or burgundy? Whatever you like... Turnbull and Asser makes nice examples: http://store.turnbullandasser.co.uk/...ringbone/Plain

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, great recommendations-- and i didn't know one could purchase T&A ties online!

Here are the ones I'm leaning toward, couldn't find a 'spot tie' that seemed to go with the dark navy of the suit and sky blue stripe. would the patterned tie work with this combo, do you think (or better with a white shirt?). PhatGuido, I'm considering the other tie to copy your signature look, would this work (and do you mind my imitating your sprezzatura?)

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PhatGuido, I'm considering the other tie to copy your signature look, would this work (and do you mind my imitating your sprezzatura?)
- Sprezza what? You want my cologne as well!

- I didn't realize I had a signature look.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
merkur--

nope! that guy wears square toed shoes and ostrich gymshoes, which I would only wear in my Own Personal Hell.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
merkur--

nope! that guy wears square toed shoes and ostrich gymshoes, which I would only wear in my Own Personal Hell.

- also you have a tailor..

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are the ones I'm leaning toward, couldn't find a 'spot tie' that seemed to go with the dark navy of the suit and sky blue stripe.
Neither of those IMHO. Stolen some pictures from B&S & forum members sites here ...
Kent Wang navy grenadine
Sam Sober Purple grenadine

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30