Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tie suggestions for semi-formal evening wear

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by karwoski, Mar 20, 2013.

1. karwoski

karwoski Active Member

I often go to dinner and after-dinner evening events - fundraisers, receptions, etc - for which a full black tie rig would be much too formal but dressing up a bit for evening would be appropriate. I want to be able to go to these events straight from the office without looking like I came straight from the office.

What I was thinking is that I would wear to the office a dark worsted suit, black shoes and a white linen square, along with whatever shirt and tie is appropriate - usually light blue shirt and a solid grenadine. When work ends, I would keep the suit/shoes/square and change the shirt and tie. A white french cuff makes sense for the evening shirt, but the evening tie isn't as clear.

For an evening tie, I was thinking about Fermo Fossati satin from Hober, maybe in black or midnight blue. It seems to me that satin is a classic material for an evening tie, and the Fermo Fossati satin is nicer and has more texture than the usual satin that is so often seen on cheap ties. I wonder which color would be more appropriate - perhaps black with a navy suit, midnight blue with a grey or charcoal suit - or if there are best practices in this field which I should be aware of. I'd be interested in hearing other tie options as well - maybe a wedding tie in shepherd's check or something? In general, is this "just change shirt and tie" plan one that should work for semi-formal evenings? Thanks for any input or advice.