• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie storage

mbc

Reaction score
So I've heard from different sources that all of the below are the "best" way to store a tie:

-Hanging vertically
-Gently folded (not creased) in half and then half again
-Rolled tightly

What are the thoughts of the board members on the best way to store a tie? I'm not exactly swimming in cash so I'd like to make sure mine remain in good condition as long as possible.

BjornH

Reaction score
This one doesn't have to go unanswered I guess.

I think the best way to store your ties is hanging them on a tie rack, given that keeping them rolled up will take up much more space and rob you of the overview of your collection although it's probably better for the ties. Rolling a tie up loosely overnight is the reccomended way to smooth wrinkles so I guess that's the way to pamper them.

I've kept mine on a tie hanger inside my closet door and I've never seen the difference - I just weed out the loosers once a year so I never grow out of space.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i used to hang mine on tie racks in the closet but now i fold them in half and half again (just as you would find in a store on a table) and have them in shallow dresser drawers - i leave them to hang a day or two after i wear them but put them back in the drawer thereafter - i've had no problems with creases or anything

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have enough dresser drawer space to fold my ties, so I use one of those battery operated rotating tie-racks from the Sharper Image. It holds about 50 ties and it's cool because I can push the button and rotate my ties while I decide which one to wear. The ties seem to have plenty of room to hang and I've had no problems with creasing. At first, I had them all color-coded, i.e. blues, reds, greens, etc. but that system has sort of fallen apart as I'm often too lazy to put them all back in the right place
smile.gif
Bradford

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Brad:

Have the same system, which is equally disintegrating. Glad to know I'm not the only guy strange enough to color code his ties...

How about dress shirts???

BjornH

Reaction score
I have the same problem myself and am considering getting a second hanger and divide the ties into two categories, warm (browns, yellows, perhaps reds) and cold colours (blues, black, white etc.)

I also try to sort my dress shirts but what's the best way ? Have the checks and plain ones separated or go by colour - perhaps both ? Hmmm... I'm going with patterns now (checks, stripes, plain and whites) but it really does not matter as I have no problem finding the right shirt anyway. My main problem is closet space for the shirts - I have around 40 of them in active service and have to keep half of them folded and stacked up so they dont get creased right away. Then there are around 30 others in another closet that are rarely brought forth.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i will admit to colour coordinating my ties, my socks, my dress shirts, everything, you'd think my closet was some retail store.

naturlaut

Reaction score
I have a stranger way of organizing my shirts and ties (and suits).  I group my shirts according to their places of origin: the English shirts, the Neapolitans, and all others (Brioni, Ascot Chang, etc.).  As shirts from different regions possess entirely different character, I find it more suitable for my needs when, for example, I wanted to look regal, I would dig into my pile of English shirts; other occasions like dinners or just a night out, I'd turn to the Neapolitan pile.  

Since I only wear ties from a few makers --- a huge collection of Battistoni (even handmade ones from recent productions), 7-folds (Kiton and Borrelli), and Turnbull, I hang them all in a 72-tie rotating rack grouped according to their makers then colours.  The Battistoni ties are most versatile, as there are woven ones and printed ones in all weight, while the Turnbull are the heavier (and narrower) and I only use them for my Turnbull shirts.  It's a pretty boring organization but it works for me.

Though not in the same thread, what's everyone else's favourite tie maker?  For me, since it's usually not a big purchase, tie-shopping is a relatively relaxing experience, as you can do it almost anywhere any time.  Although I like Hermes' ties, I often run into textural problems as their ties are light and narrow.  My favourites are still the Battistoni's, and Kiton's and Borrelli's 7-folds.

Naturlaut

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though not in the same thread, what's everyone else's favourite tie maker?  For me, since it's usually not a big purchase, tie-shopping is a relatively relaxing experience, as you can do it almost anywhere any time.  Although I like Hermes' ties, I often run into textural problems as their ties are light and narrow.  My favourites are still the Battistoni's, and Kiton's and Borrelli's 7-folds.

Naturlaut
I'm partial to the Bvlgari 7-folds, and Stefano Ricci. Kiton and Borrelli 7 folds, are of course, fabulous as are the Battistoni's. Anyone here have any experience with the Robert Talbott 7-folds?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Talbott 7 Folds are wonderful. I'm pretty sure Talbott revived the seven fold before Kiton started making them but it may have happened at about the same time. But I actually like the Talbott "Estate" ties (their top-of-the-line lined tie) better than the 7 folds. I think the Estate ties are the best on the market. I was surprised to discover that I own a LOT of their "Best Of Class" woven ties as well. So Talbott gets my vote.

The Ike Behar self-tipped ties are also great. They have a thick lining and they make a big, perfect knot. I was surprised to see them retailing for $125 at Neiman Marcus in San Francisco. Bullock & Jones (catalogue) used to have them for $89.00.

The rest of my collection is an assortment of Kiton, Brioni, Purple Label, T&A, Borrelli, Zegna Napoli Couture etc. I just bought my first Battistoni tie and it is great..

To address the original post - I hang mine vertically on a rack of my own invention. I'm going to market it someday so I can't describe it here :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads